How do I convert words to equations?

• Thread starter ScienceNewb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert
In summary, this person is having difficulty converting written chemical reactions to equations. They need to practice more to get better at it.
ScienceNewb
My biggest handicap in chemistry at this moment is learning to convert written chemical reactions to an equation.

Like here are some examples of questions I can't do-

Potassium nitrate is heated to produce oxygen.

I know that KNO3 --> O2 and that's about it

Calcium is placed in water and produces calcium hydroxide

I can only make out something like Ca + H2O --> Ca(OH)2, probably wrong tho cause can't even balance the oxygens

Dilute sulfuric acid is added to magnesium, hydrogen gas is produced

H2SO4 + Mg --> H2 is what I can make out, my guess was H2SO4 + Mg--> H2 + MgSO4?

Sodium Hydroxide is added to a solution containing H2SO4

How do I know what it produced with the information given? considering I only learned about types of reactions not long ago

Manganese dioxide reacts with concentrated hydrochloric acid to produce manganese 2 chloride, chlorine gas and water

My stab at it was MgO2 + HCl --> Mg2Cl + Cl2 + H20?

Physics news on Phys.org
#4 you have ample information, think about what sodium hydroxide is and what happens when its added to H2SO4 just think about what is on each end of the pH scale

ScienceNewb said:
My biggest handicap in chemistry at this moment is learning to convert written chemical reactions to an equation.

Don't feel alone.

Potassium nitrate is heated to produce oxygen.

I know that KNO3 --> O2 and that's about it

That's a good start. Other product in similar potassium salt of similar acid containing nitrogen and oxygen...

Calcium is placed in water and produces calcium hydroxide

I can only make out something like Ca + H2O --> Ca(OH)2, probably wrong tho cause can't even balance the oxygens

Calcium hydroxide is not the only product of this reaction. The other one is explosive gas.

Dilute sulfuric acid is added to magnesium, hydrogen gas is produced

H2SO4 + Mg --> H2 is what I can make out, my guess was H2SO4 + Mg--> H2 + MgSO4?

Very good.

Sodium Hydroxide is added to a solution containing H2SO4

How do I know what it produced with the information given? considering I only learned about types of reactions not long ago

Acid and base - products are salt and water.

Manganese dioxide reacts with concentrated hydrochloric acid to produce manganese 2 chloride, chlorine gas and water

My stab at it was MgO2 + HCl --> Mg2Cl + Cl2 + H20?

Not bad, but manganese is not Mg.

--
methods

Related to How do I convert words to equations?

1. How do I convert words to equations?

Converting words to equations involves identifying the mathematical operations and symbols represented by the words and translating them into a mathematical expression. This can be done by breaking down the problem into smaller parts and using mathematical rules to create an equation.

2. What are the common mathematical operations used in converting words to equations?

The most common mathematical operations used in converting words to equations are addition (+), subtraction (-), multiplication (* or x), division (÷), and equals (=). Other operations like exponentiation (^) and parentheses ( ) may also be used depending on the complexity of the problem.

3. How do I identify the mathematical operations in a word problem?

To identify the mathematical operations in a word problem, read the problem carefully and look for keywords or phrases that indicate addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division. For example, the words "sum", "difference", "product", and "quotient" are typically associated with these operations.

4. What are some tips for converting words to equations?

Some tips for converting words to equations include: 1) Underlining or highlighting important information in the problem, 2) Writing out any equations or formulas that are given in the problem, and 3) Using variables to represent unknown quantities.

5. How do I check if my equation is correct?

The best way to check if your equation is correct is to plug in values for the variables and solve the equation. If the solution matches the given information in the word problem, then your equation is likely correct. You can also use a calculator or ask a teacher or classmate to review your work.