Finding rate of change formulas with the given information

In summary, the formula for the average rate of change of Q over the interval [1, t] is (t + 1). To estimate the instantaneous rate of change at t = 1, the same formula can be used by plugging in the specific value for t.
Dustobusto

Homework Statement

Let Q(t)=t2. Find a formula for the average rate of change (ROC) of Q over the interval [1, t] and use it to estimate the instantaneous ROC at t = 1.

Homework Equations

For x1 ≠ x0, the average rate of change of y with respect to x over [x0, x1] is the ratio

Average ROC = Δf/Δx = f(x1) - f(x0) / x1 - x2

Finding the instantaneous rate of change is basically the same as finding the avg ROC, except instead of using the intervals that are given (say [7, 10] for example) they give you one number, and you create your own intervals by choosing numbers extremely close to that given number (say [7, 7.01] or [7, 6.99] etc.)

The Attempt at a Solution

All I can think of is plugging in the intervals as with previous problems. Plugging t into t gives you t.

Plugging 1 into t gives you one squared which is one. Then you subtract those two to get

t2 - 1. The bottom portion which is x1 - x2 would look just like t - 1.

So maybe t squared minus one over t minus one is the formula? I suppose I could factor it out to

(t +1)(t - 1) / (t - 1) cancel out the expressions and get t + 1. So t + 1 would be the requested formula for the average rate of change? To get instantaneous ROC at t = 1, wouldn't I just plug one into "t" and get 2?

That can't be right

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have some ideas?

It looks right.

ehild

Related to Finding rate of change formulas with the given information

What is rate of change and why is it important?

Rate of change is the measure of how a quantity is changing over a specific period of time. It is important because it helps us understand the direction and magnitude of change in a given situation, and can be used to make predictions and solve problems in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering.

What are the different types of rate of change formulas?

The two main types of rate of change formulas are average rate of change and instantaneous rate of change. Average rate of change measures the overall change in a quantity over a given time period, while instantaneous rate of change measures the change at a specific point in time.

How do I find the rate of change using the slope formula?

The slope formula, also known as the rise over run formula, is used to find the rate of change between two points on a graph. The formula is (y2-y1)/(x2-x1), where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are the coordinates of the two points. This will give you the average rate of change between the two points.

Can rate of change be negative?

Yes, rate of change can be negative. A negative rate of change indicates a decrease in the quantity being measured, while a positive rate of change indicates an increase.

How do I apply rate of change formulas in real-life situations?

Rate of change formulas can be applied in many real-life situations, such as calculating the average speed of a moving object, predicting population growth or decline, and analyzing stock market trends. By understanding and using rate of change formulas, we can make informed decisions and solve problems in various fields.