Finding rank(range) and nullspace of a matrix

In summary: In this case, the null space is the set of all vectors of the form (a, -a, 0). So you could write the null space as the set {(a,-a,0): a∈R}.
caliboy

Homework Statement

Trying to figure out the rank and nullspace of the matrix of matrix A and B:

A=
1 0
5 4
1 4

B=
1 0 1
5 4 9
2 4 6

Homework Equations

I used the Guass elimination on both

The Attempt at a Solution

For A I said r3[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]r3-r1, then r3→r3+4r1 then r2→r2-5r1 that lead to me getting
A=
1 0
0 4 Rank=2 and Null space=0
0 0

For B I said r3→r3-r2, then r3→r3+3r1 that lead me to:
B=
1 0 1
5 4 9 Rank=2 and Null space=1
0 0 0

Am I on the right track or do I have these completely wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to find the null space or the nullity, which is the dimension of the null space?

I am looking for the nullspace not the nullity. The "nullspace" that I have in the fist post is the nullity. I have been stuyding this and am using the formula Axp=c and am not really understanding how I got a nullspace of (0,0)

I found A=
1x1+0x2=0
0x1+4x2=0
0x1+0x2=0

and a nullspace of:

still looking at B

The null space is just the set of vectors that satisfy Ax=0. In your first example, the only solution is x=(0,0), so the null space is {(0,0)}, which is a vector space of dimension 0.

For your second problem, you found the nullity is 1, so the null space should turn out to be a vector space of dimension 1. That is, it should be the multiples of some vector. You want to figure out what that vector is by solving Bx=0.

Related to Finding rank(range) and nullspace of a matrix

1. What is the rank of a matrix?

The rank of a matrix is the maximum number of linearly independent rows or columns in the matrix. It is also equal to the number of non-zero rows or columns after the matrix has been reduced to row-echelon form.

2. How do you find the rank of a matrix?

The rank of a matrix can be found by performing row operations to reduce the matrix to row-echelon form, and then counting the number of non-zero rows or columns. This is also known as the Gaussian elimination method.

3. What is the nullspace of a matrix?

The nullspace of a matrix is the set of all vectors that, when multiplied by the matrix, result in the zero vector. In other words, it is the set of all solutions to the equation Ax=0, where A is the given matrix.

4. How do you find the nullspace of a matrix?

The nullspace of a matrix can be found by solving the equation Ax=0 using techniques such as Gaussian elimination or matrix inversion. The resulting solutions will form a basis for the nullspace.

5. Can a matrix have a rank of zero?

Yes, a matrix can have a rank of zero if all of its entries are zero or if it is an empty matrix. This means that all of the rows and columns are linearly dependent and can be obtained by scaling each other.