Finding Radius & Interval of Convergence

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the radius of convergence and the interval of convergence for a given power series using the ratio test. The method involves taking the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms and then using the result to determine the radius and interval of convergence. The conversation also touches on the concept of inconclusive tests and how to handle them in this context.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

Find the radius of convergence and the interval of convergence

Homework Equations

A_n = Ʃ sum n =1 to infinity [((-1)^n) x^(2n+1)]/(2n+1)!

The Attempt at a Solution

All I thought was to use the ratio test so I did A_(n+1) /A_n

= ((x^(2n+1))/(2n+1)!) ( (2n+1)!)/ [x^(2n+1)]
I got |x^2| limit n ---> |x^2 / 4n^2 +10n +6 | when I simplified and such. So the limit is equal to 0 so my interval of convergence is 0 ? and R = 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the limit of A_(n+1)/A_n is zero, the radius of convergence is not 0. Check how the ratio test works.

It is true that the limit is 0. However, this does not mean that the radius of convergence is 0. You did the more difficult part correctly, take a other look at the definition of ratio test and how to find radius of convergence from that.

Less then one. Converges right? Radius of convergence umm |x^2| < 1 so x < +-1?
No?

Not quite. Are you familiar with a simple equation relating limit and radius of convergence?

No. It converges for all values of x so radius of convergence is infinity for all x? What is the equation?

That's correct. It does indeed converge for all values of x. And the small equation I was referring to is R (radius of convergence) = 1/L (the limit). You assume that 1/infinity = 0 and 1/0 = infinity. So in this case, your answer for the limit is 0, so 1/0 = Infinity which implies an infinite radius of convergence.

Likes 1 person
Question when using the ratio test for power series and your limit is equal to 1 then you just...like this

|x| limit n --> (n^2 +1)/(n^2 +2) = |x| (1) then you say

You need |x| <1 and go from there? Even though your limit is one you can still use it although with the ratio test if you get a limit of 1 it is inclusive?

Yes. What you can say is if the limit is 1, the radius is also one, so you can find the interval by adding and subtracting 1 from the center, even though the ratio test for convergence is I conclusive. That is because in this case, you aren't looking for the limit (which would be an inconclusive convergence test). Rather, you want 1/L, so it doesn't matter in this case that the ratio test for convergence is inconclusive.

Where did you get your 1/L radius of convergence eq. ? I want to read this

I am currently in the same class (i assume integral calculus) and that is what we were taught.

Yosty22 said:
I am currently in the same class (i assume integral calculus) and that is what we were taught.
It is true, and you can prove it. For a series around the origin (everything else is just more to type, it does not change anything):

Assume the ratio of ##\displaystyle \frac{|A_{n+1}|}{|A_n|}## approaches a limit of L.

Consider an arbitrary value of x with |x|<1/L.
Then the ratio ##\displaystyle \frac{|x^{n+1}A_{n+1}|}{|x^n A_n|} = |x| \frac{|A_{n+1}|}{|A_n|}## approaches |x|*L < 1. Therefore, the series converges at that point via the regular ratio tests for series.Consider an arbitrary value of x with |x|>1/L.
Then the ratio ##\displaystyle \frac{|x^{n+1}A_{n+1}|}{|x^n A_n|} = |x| \frac{|A_{n+1}|}{|A_n|}## approaches |x|*L > 1. Therefore, the series does not converge at that point via the regular ratio tests for series.Therefore, the radius of convergence is R=1/L.

With the definitions 1/0=infinity, 1/infinity=0 this proof works for the two special cases as well.

Related to Finding Radius & Interval of Convergence

1. What is the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is a value that indicates the distance from the center of a power series to the nearest point where the series converges. It is typically denoted by the letter "R".

2. How is the radius of convergence calculated?

The radius of convergence is calculated using the ratio test, which involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of successive terms in the power series. If this limit is less than 1, the series converges, and the radius of convergence is equal to the distance from the center to the nearest point where the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges, and the radius of convergence is equal to 0. If the limit is exactly 1, the test is inconclusive, and other methods must be used to determine the convergence or divergence of the series.

3. What is the interval of convergence?

The interval of convergence is the range of values for which the power series converges. It can be expressed as a set of real numbers, or as an interval on the real number line. The endpoints of the interval may or may not be included in the convergence.

4. How is the interval of convergence determined?

To determine the interval of convergence, the radius of convergence must first be calculated. Then, the series must be tested at the endpoints of the interval (if they are included) to determine if they are included in the convergence. If the series converges at both endpoints, then the entire interval between them is included in the convergence. If the series converges at only one endpoint, then the interval of convergence is either from that endpoint to the center of the series, or from the center to the other endpoint. If the series diverges at both endpoints, then the interval of convergence is empty.

5. What is the significance of finding the radius and interval of convergence?

Finding the radius and interval of convergence is important because it allows us to determine the range of values for which a power series is valid. It also helps us to determine if a power series can be used to approximate a function within a certain range of values. Additionally, knowing the radius and interval of convergence can help us to determine the rate of convergence of the series, which is useful in numerical computations.