Finding Problems with a Thermographic Camera

• Thread starter Adder_Noir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Camera
In summary, the speaker is an electrician who is frustrated with the poor wiring practices in domestic properties and is considering learning plastering as a side job. They are interested in purchasing a thermographic camera to assist with cable runs, but want to know if there are cheaper options available. They are advised to seek help from a forum dedicated to their specialty and to contact companies like Horton Levi for recommendations.
Adder_Noir
Hi,

As an electrician I'm tired of lifting floorboards to find problems in domestic propertys and having every fault finding call ending up like an episode of fawlty towers because of inter-connections, ludicrously planned cable runs and all kinds of other appalling wiring practices exhibited by the previous electricians who wired up the houses I have to do calls on. I'm so fed up I'm learning plastering on the side to give me a bit of a break from it all and a new avenue through which to earn a living. I don't obviously want to stop doing electrics though...

So I want X-Ray vision. Not literally obviously but I really love seeing new technology shatter age old problems. So I'm in the market for a thermographic camera. It doesn't have to be ultra sophisticated, all I need is for it to show me were cable runs are, which by thermographic camera standards should be an absolute piece of cake. I've seen one new for £3,500 which I'd happily part with the money for but before I start saving or take out a loan does anyone know if I can achieve my aim with a cheaper camera?

Just curious, I don't want to spend several grand on something when a piece of kit that costs a fraction of the price can do the same thing.

Thanks in advance :wink:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try posting your question here
http://forum.doityourself.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9"
Helpful folks more attuned to your specialty.

Last edited by a moderator:
The kit I've seen used for fault-finding electrical installations was a lot more than 3.5k. Don't remember the exact figure but I believe you're looking at the best part of 10k. Obviously if you're just looking to trace wiring, and not to fault-find it, you might get away with a lesser unit.

Have a chat with the guys at Horton Levi (or similar) to see what they use.

Ah thanks for the information men, I'll follow up those leads :wink:

Related to Finding Problems with a Thermographic Camera

1. What is a thermographic camera and how does it work?

A thermographic camera, also known as an infrared camera, is a device that captures and displays images based on the infrared radiation emitted by objects. It uses a special lens to focus the infrared radiation onto a detector, which converts it into a visual image that represents the temperature variations of the objects in the scene.

2. How can a thermographic camera be used to find problems?

A thermographic camera can detect temperature differences that are not visible to the naked eye. This makes it useful for identifying problems such as insulation gaps, air leaks, and electrical issues. By scanning a surface with the camera, hot spots or cold spots can be identified, indicating potential problems that may need to be addressed.

3. What are some common applications for using a thermographic camera?

Thermographic cameras have a wide range of applications, including building inspections, electrical inspections, mechanical inspections, and medical imaging. They are commonly used in industries such as construction, manufacturing, and healthcare to identify issues and improve efficiency and safety.

4. Are there any limitations to using a thermographic camera?

Although thermographic cameras are a useful tool for identifying problems, they do have some limitations. They cannot see through objects, so they can only detect surface-level issues. They also require a temperature difference to produce an image, so they may not be effective in detecting problems in areas with consistent temperatures.

5. What should be considered when choosing a thermographic camera?

When choosing a thermographic camera, it is important to consider the camera's resolution, sensitivity, and temperature range. Higher resolution cameras will provide more detailed images, while cameras with higher sensitivity will be able to detect smaller temperature differences. Additionally, the temperature range of the camera should be suitable for the intended application. Other factors to consider may include the camera's durability, ease of use, and cost.