Finding Polar Equation for hyperbola with Graph xy=16

In summary, the task is to find a polar equation that corresponds to the graph xy=16. The student attempted to use x = rcosθ and y = rsinθ, but was unable to find a solution. They then realized it is a hyperbola, but were unsure of how r and θ are related. The expert suggests plugging in x=rcosθ and y=rsinθ into the original equation to find the relation.
Magnawolf

Homework Statement

Find a polar equation with the graph as xy=16

Homework Equations

r = ed/(1+- cos[itex]\theta[/itex])? I'm not really sure at all.

The Attempt at a Solution

I also tried using x = rcos[itex]\theta[/itex] and y = r sin[itex]\theta[/itex] but I can't get anything. I know it's a hyperbola.

Physics news on Phys.org
Magnawolf said:

Homework Statement

Find a polar equation with the graph as xy=16

The Attempt at a Solution

I also tried using x = rcos[itex]\theta[/itex] and y = r sin[itex]\theta[/itex] but I can't get anything. I know it's a hyperbola.

It is all right. How are r and θ related then?

ehild

Inversely? I'm not sure!

Magnawolf said:
Inversely? I'm not sure!

No, why do you think so?

Just plug in x=rcosθ and y=rsinθ into the original equation xy=16.

ehild

Related to Finding Polar Equation for hyperbola with Graph xy=16

1. What is a polar equation for a hyperbola?

A polar equation for a hyperbola is an equation that describes the shape of a hyperbola in polar coordinate system. It is typically in the form of r = k/(1±ecosθ) or r = k/(1±esinθ), where k is a constant, e is the eccentricity, and θ is the angle.

2. How do I graph a hyperbola in polar coordinates?

To graph a hyperbola in polar coordinates, you can plot points by plugging in different values for θ in the polar equation. Then, connect the points to form a curve. You can also use a graphing calculator or online graphing tool to plot the hyperbola.

3. What does the xy=16 equation represent in a hyperbola?

The xy=16 equation in a hyperbola represents the rectangular form of the polar equation r = k/(1±ecosθ). It is used to find the value of k in the polar equation by substituting x and y values from a point on the hyperbola.

4. How do I find the eccentricity of a hyperbola using the xy=16 equation?

The eccentricity of a hyperbola can be found using the xy=16 equation by rearranging it to the form e = √(1-k²/a²), where a is the distance from the center of the hyperbola to a vertex.

5. Can I convert a polar equation for a hyperbola to rectangular form?

Yes, you can convert a polar equation for a hyperbola to rectangular form by using the trigonometric identities x = rcosθ and y = rsinθ. This will give you the rectangular form of the polar equation, which can be useful for graphing and solving equations.