Finding Points on a Curve with Tangent Line Slope -1

In summary, the conversation is about finding all the points on a given curve where the slope of the tangent line is -1. The solution involves differentiating the equation and solving for the derivative, taking into account the different variables and factors involved.
temaire

Homework Statement

Find all the points on the curve [tex]x^{2}y^{2}+xy=2[/tex] where the slope of the tangent line is -1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I differentiated both sides of the equation and got:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{-2xy^{2}-y}{x^{2}2y+x}[/tex]

I know that [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=-1[/tex], but if I substitute -1 in, I won't be able to go any further since I have two unknown variables. I would appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{-2xy^{2}-y}{2x^{2}y+x}~=~\frac{-y(2xy + 1)}{x(2xy + 1)}[/tex]

As long as 2xy + 1 [itex]\neq[/itex] 0, you can cancel the factors of 2xy + 1, leaving a much simpler derivative.

Also, you want to solve the equation dy/dx = -1, not dy/dx = 1, as you had. Notice that you still have two variables, but all that means is that there are lots of solutions.

Thanks, I got it.

Related to Finding Points on a Curve with Tangent Line Slope -1

What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is defined implicitly rather than explicitly.

When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when a function is defined implicitly, meaning it is not written in the form of y = f(x). It is also used when it is difficult or impossible to solve for y explicitly.

How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function that is written explicitly as y = f(x). Implicit differentiation, on the other hand, is used for functions that are defined implicitly and cannot be easily solved for y.

What is the process for using implicit differentiation?

The process for using implicit differentiation involves taking the derivative of both sides of the equation with respect to x. This will result in an equation with dy/dx on one side and the derivative of the function on the other.

What types of functions can be differentiated implicitly?

Implicit differentiation can be used for a wide range of functions, including polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. It can also be used for implicit equations involving multiple variables.