Finding pH using acidity/basicity constants

In summary, the two approaches have different results because the textbook insists on treating the HCOO^- as the conjugate base of HCOOH and using the following reaction while the first approach ignores the presence of water.
uq_civediv
technically it is not homework, more like struggling with textbook material, but something tells me it would end up here anyway so here it is :

there's something about the method that gives me different results using different paths so I'm going to show both of them and see if you can spot the error in my thinking

let's say i want to find the pH of the solution of, say, 0.004 M HCOONa, given that for HCOOH [tex] K_a = 1.8\times10^{-4} [/tex]

For the reaction
[tex] HCOOH \rightleftharpoons H^+ + HCOO^- [/tex] the constant is [tex] K_a = \frac{[H^+][HCOO^-]}{[HCOOH]} [/tex]

standard procedure of writing the initial and final concentrations

[tex]
\begin{array}{| c|c|c |} \ [HCOOH]&[H^+]&[HCOO^-]\\
\hline
\0&10^{-7}&0.004\\
\hline
x&10^{-7}-x&0.004-x\\
\hline
\end{array}
[/tex] which gives [tex] K_a = \frac{(10^{-7}-x) (0.004-x)}{x} = 1.8 \times 10^{-4} [/tex]

solving for x gives [tex] x = 9.569 \times 10^{-8} [/tex] so [tex] [H^+] = 10^{-7} - x = 4.32 \times 10^{-9} [/tex] and [tex] pH = 8.366 [/tex] which sounds OK for HCOONa solution

the textbook, however, insists on treating the [tex] HCOO^- [/tex] as the conjugate base of HCOOH and using the following reaction

[tex] HCOO^- + H_2 O \rightleftharpoons HCOOH + OH^- [/tex] and its basicity constant [tex] K_b = \frac{[HCOOH][OH^-]}{[HCOO^-]} [/tex]

(noting that [tex] K_a \times K_b = \frac{[H^+][HCOO^-]}{[HCOOH]} \times \frac{[HCOOH][OH^-]}{HCOO^-]} = [H^+] [OH^-] = K_w [/tex] so [tex] K_b = \frac{10^{-14}}{1.8 \times 10^{-4}} = 5.56 \times 10^{-11} [/tex]

and once again the concentrations[tex]
\begin{array}{| c|c|c |} \ [HCOO^-]&[HCOOH]&[OH^-]\\
\hline
\0.004&0&10^{-7}\\
\hline
0.004-x&x&10^{-7}+x\\
\hline
\end{array}
[/tex] from which [tex] K_b = \frac{x (10^{-7}+x)}{0.004-x} = 5.56 \times 10^{-11} [/tex]

here the x is found as [tex] x = 4.240 \times 10^{-7} [/tex], therefore [tex] [OH^-] = 10^{-7} + x = 5.24 \times 10^{-7} [/tex] so [tex] pOH = 6.281 [/tex] and [tex] pH = 14 - pOH = 7.719 [/tex]

as you notice the two results (8.366 and 7.719) are too different to call them equivalent

so

any ideas ?-- o, and why does my LaTeX appear on white background ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Good question, I like it.

Looks to me like your first approach ignores presence of water. When you remove H+ water dissociation equilibrium shifts right - which you don't take into account. In Kb approach base reacts with water - so its presence is taken into account automatically.

hmm...

i suppose so

i wonder if there's an easy way for modifying the first approach without going into the purely analytical "(1) charge balance, (2) material balance, (3) expressions for equilibrium constants"

Related to Finding pH using acidity/basicity constants

1. How do you find the pH using acidity/basicity constants?

The pH can be found using the equation pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions. Acidity/basicity constants, also known as acid/base dissociation constants, are used to calculate the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution.

2. What are acidity/basicity constants?

Acidity/basicity constants are numerical values that represent the strength of an acid or base in a solution. They are used to calculate the concentration of hydrogen ions, which determines the pH of a solution.

3. How do you determine the acidity/basicity constants?

The acidity/basicity constants are determined experimentally by measuring the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution of a known acid or base. These values can also be found in reference tables.

4. Can acidity/basicity constants change?

Yes, acidity/basicity constants can change depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other compounds in the solution. However, for most purposes, these values are considered constant.

5. How do you use acidity/basicity constants to find the pH of a solution?

To find the pH of a solution using acidity/basicity constants, first determine the concentration of hydrogen ions using the equation [H+] = √(Ka x [HA]), where Ka is the acidity constant and [HA] is the concentration of the acid. Then, use the equation pH = -log[H+] to calculate the pH.