Finding percentage of carbonate in mixed sample titration

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the percentage of carbonate in a mixed sample titration. The sample contains SrCO3 and Li2CO3, and the titration requires 29.47 mL of 0.3400 M HCl. The solution involves finding the total number of moles of acid used in the titration and using that to determine the total number of moles of carbonate titrated. This can be done by solving the equation x/147.63 + (0.5310 - x)/73.89 = moles carbonate (determined from HCl titration) and then substituting the value for x into the equation x + y = 0.5310g to find the weight of carbonate and
thatgirlyouknow
[SOLVED] Finding percentage of carbonate in mixed sample titration

A sample of mixed carbonates, SrCO3 (147.63 g/mol) and Li2CO3 (73.89 g/mol), weighed 0.5310 grams. If this sample is titrated with acid, it is found that 29.47 mL of 0.3400 M HCl are required to reach the endpoint. What is the percentage of Li2CO3 in the sample? SrCO3 and Li2CO3 are the only components in the sample and carbonate reacts as a di-protic base.

Ok so I know:

SrCO3 + 2 HCl --> CO2 + H2O...
LiCO3 + 2HCl --> CO2 + H2O...

So the stoichiometric ratio is two for both (hence the diprotic base). However, after setting up:

mol HCl = mol SrCO3 x 2 (SR) + mol LiCO3 x 2 (SR)
and changing the mol into wt over molar mass, where do I go from here? Should I assume both dissolve equally? If so, then the percent Li is 25 (one fourth), but that seems way too easy.. especially since they have different molar masses.

Physics news on Phys.org
thatgirlyouknow said:
Should I assume both dissolve equally? .

answer this question after looking up a solubility table. Only one of the carbonates is in the solution that the acid is titrating. use the mol of carbonate = vol acid x M acid /2 ; then find g of carbonate using MM. you have the mass of the mixture; %= g carbonate/g mixture

Last edited:
eli64 said:
answer this question after looking up a solubility table. Only one of the carbonates is in the solution that the acid is titrating. use the mol of carbonate = vol acid x M acid /2 ; then find g of carbonate using MM. you have the mass of the mixture; %= g carbonate/g mixture

NO.

Instead, find the total number of moles of acid used in the titration. Write out the neutralization equation, ignoring the Sr and Li for the time being. This will be used to determine the total number of moles of carbonate titrated. The total number of moles of carbonate titrated will be equal to the total number of moles of SrCO3 plus LiCO3.

let
x=grams of SrCO3
y=grams of LiCO3

therefore, x + y = 0.5310g (or y = 0.5310 g - x) (1)

and

# moles SrCO3 = x / 147.63
# moles LiCO3 = y / 73.89 (or (0.5310 - x) / 73.89 (2)

and

# moles SrCO3 + # moles LiCO3 = moles carbonate (determined from HCl titration)
rewriting the above using equation (2) yields,

x/147.63 + (0.5310 - x)/73.89 = moles carbonate (determined from HCl titration)

Solve for x and substitute into equation (1) and determine y.

sorry, filtration first

:redface:Yes, of course the acid would react with both carbonates. I was thinking experimentally and not reading the problem (!). If this was a lab problem could you not dissolve the mixture of carbonates and and filter the insoluble one then titrate the soluble one. The question asked for the percentage of the Li2CO3.

sorry to mislead

I am still confused as to how you would go from:

x/147.63 + (0.5310 - x)/73.89 = moles carbonate (determined from HCl titration)

into solving for x.

My question is how do I obtain the moles of carbonate?

Related to Finding percentage of carbonate in mixed sample titration

What is the purpose of finding the percentage of carbonate in a mixed sample titration?

The purpose of finding the percentage of carbonate in a mixed sample titration is to determine the concentration of carbonate in a given sample. This information can be used to identify the type and amount of carbonate present, which is important in many scientific and industrial applications.

What is a mixed sample titration?

A mixed sample titration is a method used to determine the concentration of a specific substance in a mixture. It involves adding a known amount of a reagent to the mixture, and then measuring the amount of reagent that reacts with the substance of interest. The results of the titration can be used to calculate the concentration of the substance in the mixture.

What equipment is needed for a mixed sample titration?

The equipment needed for a mixed sample titration includes a burette, a pipette, a conical flask, a titration stand, and a burette clamp. You will also need a reagent, an indicator, and a standardized solution for the titration process.

What is the process for finding the percentage of carbonate in a mixed sample titration?

The process for finding the percentage of carbonate in a mixed sample titration involves first preparing the sample and the reagent. Next, a measured volume of the sample is placed in a conical flask, along with an indicator. The reagent is then added to the sample until the indicator changes color, indicating that the reaction is complete. The amount of reagent used can then be used to calculate the percentage of carbonate in the sample.

What are some potential sources of error in a mixed sample titration?

Some potential sources of error in a mixed sample titration include inaccurate measurements, improper mixing of the sample and reagent, and human error in reading the volume on the burette. Other factors that can affect the accuracy of the titration include the quality of the reagents and the presence of impurities in the sample.