33.39 mL of the I2 solution from above is required to titrate a sample

• Thread starter WK95
  • Start date
In summary, there are six sigma bonds, four pi bonds, and no information provided about concentration of iodine.
WK95

Homework Statement

33.39 mL of the I2 solution from above is required to titrate a sample containing As2O3. Calculate the mass of As2O3 (197.8 g/mol) in the sample.

As2O3 + 5(H2O) + 2I2 → 2(H3AsO4) + 4HI

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

MolarMass_I2=254 g/mol
MolarMass_As2O3=197.8 g/mol
1 mol As2O3:2mol I2

I know I would have to get the mol of both I2 and As2O3 somehow in order to plug them into that relationship above.

I think Molarity may possibly be involved.

The problem is that while I know that there is 0.03339 L of I2, I don't know the concentration of I2 so i don't know how I can arrive at the number of mol of I2.

Homework Statement

2rr32iv.gif

How many sigma bonds? pi bonds?

The Attempt at a Solution

There are 6 sigma bonds since there are a total 6 of bonds between 6 atoms since all atoms have electrons in the s orbital.
There are 4 pi bonds between N and C, C and C, C and C, C and C. This is because each atom has electrons in orbital 2p.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No way to solve the first problem without knowing concentration of iodine - but the problem states "solution from above", so most likely there were some information provided earlier.

Check what are pi bonds.

Likes 1 person
Well... I didn't see the "solution above part". The solution of I2 has a molarity of 1.29 M. Using that, I found that the mass of As2O3 is 4.26g.

Also, pi bonds are the hybrid orbitals formed from the overlapping of 2 p orbitals.

WK95 said:
Also, pi bonds are the hybrid orbitals formed from the overlapping of 2 p orbitals.

Which bonds are created first - sigma, or pi? Is it possible to have a pi bond without sigma?

Borek said:
Which bonds are created first - sigma, or pi? Is it possible to have a pi bond without sigma?

I believe sigma bonds are created first. All ground state atoms will have s orbitals so for ground state atoms, there must always be sigma bonds right? If excited, then pi bonds can exist without sigma bonds.

WK95 said:
I believe sigma bonds are created first.

Good. Now, wherever there are two atoms bonded, first bond is sigma, rest - if they exist - are pi. How many sigma bonds? How many pi bonds?

Oh ok. i get it now. Thanks.

Related to 33.39 mL of the I2 solution from above is required to titrate a sample

1. How was the amount of the I2 solution determined for titration?

The amount of I2 solution required for titration was determined by using a standardized titration method. This method involves adding the I2 solution in small increments to the sample until a color change is observed, indicating that the reaction has reached its endpoint.

2. What is the purpose of titration in this experiment?

The purpose of titration in this experiment is to determine the concentration of a substance in the sample. In this case, the I2 solution is used to titrate the sample and the volume of solution required is used to calculate the concentration of the substance in the sample.

3. Can the amount of I2 solution be adjusted for different sample sizes?

Yes, the amount of I2 solution can be adjusted for different sample sizes. The titration method used allows for small increments of the solution to be added, making it suitable for a range of sample sizes.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the titration results?

The accuracy of the titration results can be affected by factors such as human error, improper sample preparation, and environmental factors like temperature and humidity. It is important to carefully follow the standardized titration method and control for these factors to obtain accurate results.

5. How can the titration results be used in further analysis?

The titration results can be used to determine the concentration of the substance in the sample, which can then be used in further analysis or calculations. This information can be helpful in various scientific fields such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science.