Finding parametric surface area

In summary, the problem is asking to find the surface area of the part of the plane 2x+5y+z=10 that lies inside the cylinder x^2+y^2 = 9. The parametric surface area equation is used and the solution involves finding the magnitude of the cross product of the partial derivatives, which is then integrated over the region bounded by the given equations. The final answer is 9√30, or 9π√30 if using the area formula for a disk.
Nat3
I was able to get an answer to this homework problem, but I have no way of verifying that it is correct. I was hoping someone more experienced than me could look over my work and let me

know if I did the problem correctly.

Homework Statement

Find the surface area of the part of the plane [tex]2x+5y+z=10[/tex] that lies inside the cylinder [tex]x^2+y^2 = 9[/tex]

Homework Equations

Parametric surface area:
[tex]\vec r (u,v) = <x(u,v), y(u, v), z(u, v)>[/tex]

[tex]A(S) = \iint\limits_D \left |\vec r_u\times \vec r_v \right |dA[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let x = x, y = y, z = 10 - 2x - 5y

Then [tex]\vec r(u, v) = <x, y, 10-2x-5y>[/tex], let u = x and v = y

[tex]\vec r_x(x, y) = <1, 0, -2>, \vec r_y(x, y) = <0, 1, -5>[/tex]

[tex]\vec r_x \times \vec r_y = \left | \begin{array}{ccc} \vec i & \vec j & \vec k \\ 1 & 0 & -2 \\ 0 & 1 & -5 \end{array} \right| = <2, 5, 1>[/tex]

[tex]\left | \vec r_x \times \vec r_y \right | = \sqrt {2^2 + 5^2 + 1} = \sqrt {30}[/tex]

[tex]A(S) = \iint\limits_D \left |\vec r_u\times \vec r_v \right |dA = \iint\limits_D \sqrt{30} dA[/tex]
Where D is the region bounded by [tex]x^2+y^2 = 9[/tex], or in polar, [tex]r^2 = 9[/tex]

[tex]A(S) = \iint\limits_D \sqrt{30}dA = \int\limits_0^{2\pi} \int\limits_0^3 \sqrt{30}\ rdrd\theta = \sqrt{30} \int\limits_0^{2\pi} \left. \frac{1}{2} r^2 \right |_0^3 d

\theta = \frac{\sqrt{30}}{2} \int\limits_0^{2\pi} \left. 9\ d\theta = \frac{9\sqrt{30}}{2}\theta \left. |_0^{2\pi} \right = 9\sqrt{30}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good except you dropped a pi at the very last step.

Nat3 said:
I was able to get an answer to this homework problem, but I have no way of verifying that it is correct. I was hoping someone more experienced than me could look over my work and let me

know if I did the problem correctly.

Homework Statement

Find the surface area of the part of the plane [tex]2x+5y+z=10[/tex] that lies inside the cylinder [tex]x^2+y^2 = 9[/tex]

Homework Equations

Parametric surface area:
[tex]\vec r (u,v) = <x(u,v), y(u, v), z(u, v)>[/tex]

[tex]A(S) = \iint\limits_D \left |\vec r_u\times \vec r_v \right |dA[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let x = x, y = y, z = 10 - 2x - 5y

Then [tex]\vec r(u, v) = <x, y, 10-2x-5y>[/tex], let u = x and v = y

[tex]\vec r_x(x, y) = <1, 0, -2>, \vec r_y(x, y) = <0, 1, -5>[/tex]

[tex]\vec r_x \times \vec r_y = \left | \begin{array}{ccc} \vec i & \vec j & \vec k \\ 1 & 0 & -2 \\ 0 & 1 & -5 \end{array} \right| = <2, 5, 1>[/tex]

[tex]\left | \vec r_x \times \vec r_y \right | = \sqrt {2^2 + 5^2 + 1} = \sqrt {30}[/tex]

[tex]A(S) = \iint\limits_D \left |\vec r_u\times \vec r_v \right |dA = \iint\limits_D \sqrt{30} dA[/tex]
Where D is the region bounded by [tex]x^2+y^2 = 9[/tex], or in polar, [tex]r^2 = 9[/tex]

[tex]A(S) = \iint\limits_D \sqrt{30}dA = \int\limits_0^{2\pi} \int\limits_0^3 \sqrt{30}\ rdrd\theta = \sqrt{30} \int\limits_0^{2\pi} \left. \frac{1}{2} r^2 \right |_0^3 d

\theta = \frac{\sqrt{30}}{2} \int\limits_0^{2\pi} \left. 9\ d\theta = \frac{9\sqrt{30}}{2}\theta \left. |_0^{2\pi} \right = 9\sqrt{30}[/tex]
It is isn't really necessary to integrate. [itex]\int\int dA= A[/itex], the area. And the area of a disk of radius 3 is [itex]9\pi[/itex]
[tex]\int\int \sqrt{30}dA= 9\pi \sqrt{30}[/tex]

Thanks!

Related to Finding parametric surface area

What is a parametric surface?

A parametric surface is a mathematical representation of a surface in three-dimensional space. It is usually defined by a set of two or three parameters that determine the coordinates of points on the surface.

Why is finding parametric surface area important?

Finding parametric surface area is important in many areas of science and engineering, such as in calculating the surface area of a biological cell or the surface area of a three-dimensional object in computer graphics. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve various problems in physics and mathematics.

How do you find the parametric surface area of a given surface?

To find the parametric surface area of a given surface, you can use the formula S = ∫∫√(1+(∂z/∂u)²+(∂z/∂v)²) dudv, where z = z(u,v) is the parametric equation of the surface and the integral is taken over the range of values for u and v. Alternatively, you can use specialized software or online calculators to find the surface area.

What are the limitations of using parametric surface area?

One limitation of using parametric surface area is that it assumes the surface is smooth and continuous, which may not be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculated surface area depends on the precision of the parameters used in the parametric equation.

How is parametric surface area related to surface integrals?

Parametric surface area is closely related to surface integrals, as it is used to find the surface area of a given surface. In fact, the formula for finding parametric surface area is derived from the concept of surface integrals. Both concepts are essential in various fields of science and engineering, such as in fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.