Finding out the mass of gas transferred outside of a room

In summary, the problem is to find the mass of air that will be transferred outside through the window in a room with a volume of 60m^3, a temperature of 25 degrees, and an initial pressure of 101300Pa. Due to wind, the outside pressure will drop to 99000Pa. Using the ideal gas law, the solution involves comparing the initial and final pressures and rearranging the equation to find the change in moles, which will then be used to calculate the change in mass. The temperature can be assumed to be constant in this scenario.
Taylan
Homework Statement
The volume of a room is 60m^3. Temperature=25degrees and pressure=101300Pa. Due to the wind, there will be a pressure drop outside the room to 99000Pa. What is the mass of air that will be transferred outside through the window? M=28,96g/mol
Relevant Equations
PV=nRT
I thought I should use the ideal gas law to find out moles of air that would be transferred out through the window but the temperature and volume outside is not known. Can you help me further? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose the outside volume is essentially infinite. So I think your headed on the wrong track there. What do you know about the pressure at the window (inside vs. outside)? Why would gas move from inside to outside? When would gas stop moving outside?

Likes Taylan
Taylan said:
Problem Statement: The volume of a room is 60m^3. Temperature=25degrees and pressure=101300Pa. Due to the wind, there will be a pressure drop outside the room to 99000Pa. What is the mass of air that will be transferred outside through the window? M=28,96g/mol
Relevant Equations: PV=nRT

I thought I should use the ideal gas law to find out moles of air that would be transferred out through the window but the temperature and volume outside is not known. Can you help me further? thanks
i think you should assume that temperature is constant, and the question phrases it differently but it may be referring to the pressure inside the room changing to 99000 or 2300 what is the answer?

Likes Taylan
DaveE said:
I suppose the outside volume is essentially infinite. So I think your headed on the wrong track there. What do you know about the pressure at the window (inside vs. outside)? Why would gas move from inside to outside? When would gas stop moving outside?
inside = 101300Pa and outside=99000Pa. The gas would move from higher to lower pressure and the movement would stop when the pressures are equal.

bonbon22 said:
i think you should assume that temperature is constant, and the question phrases it differently but it may be referring to the pressure inside the room changing to 99000 or 2300 what is the answer?

No, the pressure inside is 101300Pa and outside it is 99000Pa so some air will move outside due to the pressure difference. I don't think I am supposed to assume the temperature is constant in this specific question though

OK, so let's look at the gas law inside the room, PV=nRT. V and R are constant. You now know the initial and final pressures, let's call the Pi (initial) and Pf (final). So let's rearrange things nT=PV/R. Then you could compare the initial conditions to the final conditions.
We know n will change because of the way the question was asked. I would have assumed that T is constant, but you are correct, theoretically it could change. In the real world, assuming normal sized rooms and windows, it won't change much at all (as long as the air is still all moving out). Plus, I don't think solving for the change of temperature as air is leaving is an introductory physics question. That answer would require a bunch of information that isn't provided (like how big is the window).

Likes Taylan
DaveE said:
OK, so let's look at the gas law inside the room, PV=nRT. V and R are constant. You now know the initial and final pressures, let's call the Pi (initial) and Pf (final). So let's rearrange things nT=PV/R. Then you could compare the initial conditions to the final conditions.
We know n will change because of the way the question was asked. I would have assumed that T is constant, but you are correct, theoretically it could change. In the real world, assuming normal sized rooms and windows, it won't change much at all (as long as the air is still all moving out). Plus, I don't think solving for the change of temperature as air is leaving is an introductory physics question. That answer would require a bunch of information that isn't provided (like how big is the window).

oh ı see. okay thanks! so ı guess since V and R are constant I am going to further rearrange it and say V/R = nT/P ? and then (nT/P)before= (nT/P)after ?

Taylan said:
oh ı see. okay thanks! so ı guess since V and R are constant I am going to further rearrange it and say V/R = nT/P ? and then (nT/P)before= (nT/P)after ?
Something like that. I would name the variables that are changing as before and after values. Then write the equations that describe the before state and the after state. You can use these two equations to determine how much things changed. Since they are asking how the mass changes, you should know that the answer will be found by finding how much n changed.

DaveE said:
Something like that. I would name the variables that are changing as before and after values. Then write the equations that describe the before state and the after state. You can use these two equations to determine how much things changed. Since they are asking how the mass changes, you should know that the answer will be found by finding how much n changed.

Thank you!
alright so:

n1.T1./P1 = n2.T2./P2

n2= (n1.T1.P2)/(P1.T2)

since T is constant:

n2=(n1.P2)/P1

I know P1 (101300Pa)
n1 can be found out from ideal gas law equation since P1, V1, T1 and R is known.

about P2.. I know that the air will keep getting out until the pressure outside and inside will be equal. But which pressure is this? The middle value of 99000Pa and 101300Pa is what comes to my mind but not sure if that makes sense because can't think of an explanation about why it should be that way

Related to Finding out the mass of gas transferred outside of a room

1. What instruments are needed to measure the mass of gas transferred outside of a room?

The most common instruments used to measure the mass of gas transferred outside of a room are gas flow meters, gas chromatographs, and mass spectrometers. These instruments are specifically designed to accurately measure the amount of gas in a given space.

2. How does gas transfer occur outside of a room?

Gas transfer outside of a room can occur through various methods such as diffusion, convection, and advection. Diffusion is the movement of gas particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. Convection is the transfer of gas through the movement of a fluid, such as air. Advection is the horizontal movement of gas caused by differences in pressure.

3. What factors can affect the amount of gas transferred outside of a room?

The amount of gas transferred outside of a room can be affected by various factors, including temperature, pressure, surface area, and concentration gradients. These factors can impact the rate of diffusion and movement of gas particles, ultimately affecting the overall mass of gas transferred.

4. Can the mass of gas transferred outside of a room be calculated?

Yes, the mass of gas transferred outside of a room can be calculated using the ideal gas law (PV=nRT) and the principles of gas diffusion. The mass can also be measured directly using specialized instruments such as gas flow meters and mass spectrometers.

5. Why is it important to measure the mass of gas transferred outside of a room?

Measuring the mass of gas transferred outside of a room is important for understanding and monitoring air quality and potential hazards. It can also provide valuable information for industrial processes, environmental studies, and safety protocols. Additionally, tracking gas transfer can help identify areas of leakage or inefficiency in gas systems.