Finding Omega: Evaluating sin^(-1)(3) on the Complex Plane

For any z with |z| = 1, the equation sin(w) = z has the solution w = -i*log(sqrt(1-z^2) + iz).In summary, the conversation discusses finding an expression for omega as a function of z that can be used to evaluate all possible values of sin^(-1)(3) and plotting these values on the complex plane. One solution is provided, stating that for any z with a magnitude of 1, the equation sin(w) = z can be solved for w.
blueyellow

Homework Statement

if z= sin (omega) find an expression for omega as a function of z that can be used to evaluate all possible values of sin^(-1) (3). Plot these values on the complex plane

The Attempt at a Solution

z= sin (omega)
3= sin (omega)

I don't know how to proceed from here. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org

blueyellow said:

Homework Statement

if z= sin (omega) find an expression for omega as a function of z that can be used to evaluate all possible values of sin^(-1) (3). Plot these values on the complex plane

The Attempt at a Solution

z= sin (omega)
3= sin (omega)

I don't know how to proceed from here. Please help

For any w (real or complex) we have sin(w) = (1/2)*[exp(i*w) - exp(-i*w)], where i = sqrt(-1).

RGV

Actually, I believe the identity is [itex]\sin x = \frac{-i(e^{ix} - e^{-ix})}{2}[/itex].

Or, equivalentlty,
[tex]\frac{e^{ix}- e^{-ix}}{2i}[tex]

Related to Finding Omega: Evaluating sin^(-1)(3) on the Complex Plane

1. What is the purpose of evaluating sin^(-1)(3) on the Complex Plane?

The purpose of evaluating sin^(-1)(3) on the Complex Plane is to determine the complex solutions to the equation sin(z) = 3, where z is a complex number. This can help us understand the behavior of the sine function on the complex plane and identify any patterns or relationships between real and complex solutions.

2. How do you evaluate sin^(-1)(3) on the Complex Plane?

To evaluate sin^(-1)(3) on the Complex Plane, we use the inverse sine function, also known as arcsine, which is denoted as sin^(-1)(x). We input the value of 3 for x and solve for the complex solutions of z. This can be done using various methods, such as using the Pythagorean identity or converting the complex number to polar form.

3. What is the significance of the Complex Plane in evaluating sin^(-1)(3)?

The Complex Plane, also known as the Argand plane, is a useful tool for visualizing and understanding complex numbers. In the case of evaluating sin^(-1)(3), the Complex Plane allows us to represent the solutions as points on a graph, with the real part of the solution on the horizontal axis and the imaginary part on the vertical axis.

4. Can sin^(-1)(3) have multiple solutions on the Complex Plane?

Yes, sin^(-1)(3) can have multiple solutions on the Complex Plane. This is because the inverse sine function has a periodic nature, meaning that it repeats itself after a certain interval. Therefore, there can be infinite solutions for sin^(-1)(3) on the Complex Plane.

5. How does the evaluation of sin^(-1)(3) on the Complex Plane relate to the concept of branches?

The evaluation of sin^(-1)(3) on the Complex Plane is related to the concept of branches in complex analysis. Branches refer to different possible values of a multivalued function, such as the inverse sine function, on the complex plane. Each branch represents a different solution, and the number of branches is equal to the number of possible solutions for the function. Therefore, when evaluating sin^(-1)(3) on the Complex Plane, we are essentially exploring the different branches and their corresponding solutions.