Finding number of solutions for a system of equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses a system of equations involving variables k and v and constants D, G, a, t, and n. The equations are identical and it is easy to solve for v(k) except at k=0. The equations do not have a solution and the conversation also mentions using Mathematica and Excel Solver to find possible solutions.
kochibacha
Is there any general theorem on finding number of solutions to this system of equations(D e^(-k (a - t)) (1 - e^-kt) (1 - e^(-a k n)))/((1 - e^(-a k)) k t v) = S

(G e^(-k (a - t)) (1 - e^-kt) (1 - e^(-a k n)))/((1 - e^(-a k)) k t v) = Twhere k,v are variables and others are constant

*edited equations

Attachments

• Equations.png
    Equations.png
    3 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The two equations look identical. If S=T that is fine, just a bit redundant. It is easy to solve for v(k) then, which has a unique solution everywhere apart from k=0 where the equation cannot be satisfied.

mfb said:
The two equations look identical. If S=T that is fine, just a bit redundant. It is easy to solve for v(k) then, which has a unique solution everywhere apart from k=0 where the equation cannot be satisfied.

thanks for the fast reply. The problem was actually Mathematica cannot solve these system of equations (picture attached) so I used Excel Solver to find k,v satisfying those two equations. I just wonder that the k,v that I got are the only real number solutions to this system.

Attachments

• Solve.png
    Solve.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 461
There is no solution. Your equations are "250 * something = 50 && 375 * something = 80", which quickly leads to a contradiction.

Related to Finding number of solutions for a system of equations?

What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations that share one or more variables. The solutions to the system are the values of the variables that make all of the equations in the system true.

How do I determine the number of solutions for a system of equations?

The number of solutions for a system of equations can be determined by graphing the equations and determining the point(s) of intersection. If the lines intersect at one point, the system has one solution. If the lines are parallel and do not intersect, the system has no solutions. If the lines overlap, the system has infinitely many solutions.

What is the difference between consistent and inconsistent systems?

A consistent system has at least one solution, while an inconsistent system has no solutions. In other words, a consistent system is one where the lines intersect and there is a solution that satisfies all of the equations, while an inconsistent system has no point of intersection and therefore no solution.

How can I solve a system of equations algebraically?

There are several methods for solving a system of equations algebraically, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable and solve for the other. The solutions can then be substituted back into the equations to check their validity.

Can a system of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of equations can have more than one solution. This occurs when the equations result in two or more distinct points of intersection, each representing a different solution to the system. These systems are known as consistent and independent systems.