Finding nth roots of a complex number

In summary, the conversation discusses using DeMoivre's Theorem to find nth roots of a complex number. While the speaker is able to find the correct answer, they do not understand the concept behind it and are seeking clarification. The other person explains that the use of these roots is to be able to arrive back at the same answer when raised to the power of n and that they should be positioned equally around the complex plane. The comparison is made to finding roots of real numbers and how it can be important in certain situations.
mharten1

Homework Statement

I have no problem using DeMoivre's Theorem to find nth roots of a complex number. However, I really don't know what this is accomplishing. Usually the book I use explains the concept behind a certain type of problem, but in this case, there is nothing.

I can easily get the correct answer, but I do not know what it means. Any help?

Homework Equations

DeMoivre's Theorem

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, let us state what the use of these roots are. You can take one of these roots and raise it to the power of n (where n is the number of possible roots) and you will arrive back at the same answer. Also, depending on n, the roots should be positioned equally around the complex plane, with the same angle between each of the roots. This might not explain much, but that's about all I know about the roots =)

As well ask why find roots of real numbers? As you go on you will find situations where finding the root of a number is important. Sometimes, it is important knowing where the roots are so as to "avoid them".

Related to Finding nth roots of a complex number

1. How do I find the nth root of a complex number?

To find the nth root of a complex number, you can use the formula: z^(1/n) = r^(1/n) * [cos((θ+2kπ)/n) + i*sin((θ+2kπ)/n)], where z is the complex number, r is the absolute value (modulus) of z, θ is the argument (angle) of z, and k is an integer from 0 to n-1.

2. Can I find multiple nth roots of a complex number?

Yes, you can find n different nth roots of a complex number. Each root will have a different value for k (from 0 to n-1), resulting in a different angle in the formula. This will give you all the possible solutions for the nth root of the complex number.

3. What if the complex number has a negative real part?

If the complex number has a negative real part, you can use the formula: z^(1/n) = r^(1/n) * [cos((θ+2kπ)/n) + i*sin((θ+2kπ)/n)]. However, you need to take into account that the angle θ may be outside the range of -π to π. In that case, you can add or subtract 2π from θ to bring it into the appropriate range.

4. Is it possible to find the nth root of a negative complex number?

Yes, it is possible to find the nth root of a negative complex number. The result will be a complex number with an imaginary part. You can use the same formula as mentioned in question 3, but make sure to account for the negative real part and adjust the angle accordingly.

5. How do I represent the nth root of a complex number on a complex plane?

The nth root of a complex number can be represented on a complex plane as a point that lies on the circle with radius r^(1/n) and has an angle of (θ+2kπ)/n with the positive real axis. This point will be one of the n solutions for the nth root of the complex number.