Finding nth Derivative of Fractional Equation x/(1+x)?

• Thread starter LilTaru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, I don't know how to apply the nth derivative to a fractional equation or even if I were to rewrite y as y = x * (1 + x)-1, I still don't know how to find the nth derivative?
LilTaru

Homework Statement

Find a formula for the nth derivative of y = x/(1 + x).

Homework Equations

I know the general formula for finding the nth derivative of xn.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to apply the nth derivative to a fractional equation or even if I were to rewrite y as y = x * (1 + x)-1, I still don't know how to find the nth derivative?

Physics news on Phys.org
LilTaru said:

Homework Statement

Find a formula for the nth derivative of y = x/(1 + x).

Homework Equations

I know the general formula for finding the nth derivative of xn.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to apply the nth derivative to a fractional equation or even if I were to rewrite y as y = x * (1 + x)-1, I still don't know how to find the nth derivative?

Try taking the first derivative, then take the second derivative, then take the third. Do you see a pattern emerging? Can you write a general equation that specifies the nth derivative directly?

I am starting to sort of see a pattern emerging, but I don't know how to prove it in a general equation... I am starting to see that fn(x) = something/(g(x))n*2, but I don't see a pattern in the numerator...

I got y1 = 2x - 1/(1 + x)2
and y2 = -2x - 4/(1 + x)4

LilTaru said:
I am starting to sort of see a pattern emerging, but I don't know how to prove it in a general equation... I am starting to see that fn(x) = something/(g(x))n*2, but I don't see a pattern in the numerator...

I got y1 = 2x - 1/(1 + x)2
and y2 = -2x - 4/(1 + x)4

Hmmm, that doesn't look right. Take the first derivative again using the product rule or the quotient rule.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/ProductQuotientRule.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, there is your first problem- you have even the first derivative wrong. Using the quotient rule, the derivative of
[tex]y= \frac{x}{1+ x}[/tex]
is
[tex]y'= \frac{(x)'(1+ x)- (x)(1+x)'}{(1+ x)^2}= \frac{1+ x- x}{(1+ x)^2}= \frac{1}{(1+ x)^2}[/tex]
Writing that as [itex](1+ x)^{-2}[/itex], [itex]y''= -2(1+ x)^{-3}[/itex], etc.

Okay I tried again with the product rule and got:

y1 = -x + 1/(1 + x)2

Wow... apparently I have issues getting the derivative...

Again, no. If you showed each step, we might be able to tell you exactly what you are doing wrong.

LilTaru said:
Okay I tried again with the product rule and got:

y1 = -x + 1/(1 + x)2

No, that's not it either.

OK, let's get the process down first.

The product rule says take the first times the derivative of the second plus the second times the derivative of the first.

The two functions are

x and 1/(1+x)

The derivatives of those functions are

1 and -1/(1+x)2

Make sure you understand up to this point and then try to work out the answer for the first derivative.

Okay! Tried it again after refreshing on how to get a derivative... and I got:

yn = -2(n - 1)(1 + x)-2 - (n - 1)

Last edited:
I figured out what I did wrong... I was flipping the quotient rule... meaning I took:
f(x)g1(x) - f1(x)g(x) instead of the other way around

LilTaru said:
Okay! Tried it again after refreshing on how to get a derivative... and I got:

yn = -2n(1 + x)-2 - n

Oh boy. You're making progress but you jumped too fast. Go slowly. Since you are having some issue with basic derivatives. Carefully write out the first through sixth derivative and you'll see that your formula doesn't have the right form.

Well testing your formula for n=1 gives [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{-2}{(1+x)^3}[/tex]

Which isn't right. Show us what you did, step by step, to find the first derivative.

Okay, just realized how wrong I had it and here is my step by step now:

y1 = (1 + x)(1) - x(1)/(1 + x)2
= 1/(1 + x)2
= (1 + x)-2

y2 = -2(1 + x)-3
y3 = 6(1 + x)-4
y4 = -24(1 + x)-5 and so on...

Hopefully I finally got it and now can determine the pattern?

LilTaru said:
Okay, just realized how wrong I had it and here is my step by step now:

y1 = (1 + x)(1) - x(1)/(1 + x)2
= 1/(1 + x)2
= (1 + x)-2

y2 = -2(1 + x)-3
y3 = 6(1 + x)-4
y4 = -24(1 + x)-5 and so on...

Hopefully I finally got it and now can determine the pattern?

That looks good. As a reward for your diligence, I'll remind you of the factorial function

n!=n(n-1)*(n-2)*(n-3) ... 3*2*1

It should help in your final formula.

Oh! Thank you! I was just looking at the derivatives going where have I seen this before! Thank you to everyone for their help! It is really appreciated!

Alright! Fingers crossed! I got a final answer of:

yn = [-(-n!)] * (1 + x)-2 - (n -1)

LilTaru said:
Alright! Fingers crossed! I got a final answer of:

yn = [-(-n!)] * (1 + x)-2 - (n -1)

OK, if you simplify this you would get the following.

yn = n! * (1 + x)-(1 + n)

This is close, but you are not getting the alternating signs from this formula.

How can you make a formula which depends on n and gives alternating signs?

I thought the -(-n!) would do this since:
-3! would be -3 * -2 * -1 which equals -6 and thus
-(-6) equals six... this would alternate between the signs... I can't think of another way...

LilTaru said:
I thought the -(-n!) would do this since:
-3! would be -3 * -2 * -1 which equals -6 and thus
-(-6) equals six... this would alternate between the signs... I can't think of another way...

OK, the usual way is to write (-1)n. If this gives you the wrong sign, you can instead write -(-1)n or (-1)n+1.

The use of (-n!) is not an accepted notation, as far as I know. It's better to use established conventions, but even though it's often frowned upon, one is always free to invent notation as long as you clearly define it.

And not just that it's not accepted notation, but what you mean would rather be (-n)! instead of -n! since the first would most likely mean (-n)(-(n-1))(-(n-2))...(-3)(-2)(-1) but the second means -(n(n-1)(n-2)...(3)(2)(1))=-(n!)

Related to Finding nth Derivative of Fractional Equation x/(1+x)?

1. What is the nth derivative?

The nth derivative refers to the derivative of a function that has been differentiated n times. It represents the rate of change of the original function, which has already been differentiated n times.

2. How do you find the nth derivative?

To find the nth derivative, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule depending on the complexity of the original function. The process involves differentiating the function n times and simplifying the result.

3. What is the purpose of finding the nth derivative?

Finding the nth derivative is useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as optimization problems, physics equations, and signal processing. It allows us to analyze the behavior and properties of a function in more detail.

4. Can the nth derivative be negative?

Yes, the nth derivative can be negative. This means that the function is decreasing at that particular point. The sign of the nth derivative changes depending on the behavior of the original function.

5. Is there a shortcut or formula for finding the nth derivative?

There is no general shortcut or formula for finding the nth derivative, as it depends on the complexity of the original function. However, there are some patterns and rules that can make the process easier, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule.