Finding Nabla Operator for f(r) with r = |R|

In summary, to find \nabla f(r), you can use the chain rule to express it as \frac{df}{dr}\nabla r or replace r with (x^2+ y^2+ z^2)^{1/2} and find the gradient. The formula for df/dr is \partialf_{x}/\partialx + \partialf_{y}/\partialy + \partialf_{z}/\partialz.
MCooltA

Homework Statement

I need to find [itex]\nabla[/itex]f(r). I am given r = |R| where R is a vector, R =(x,y,z). I also have the function f(r) which is a differentiable function of r.

Homework Equations

So i know [itex]\nabla[/itex](g) = ([itex]\partial[/itex]g/[itex]\partial[/itex]x, [itex]\partial[/itex]g/[itex]\partial[/itex]y, [itex]\partial[/itex]g/[itex]\partial[/itex]z)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've got;

r=√(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)

[itex]\nabla[/itex](r) = (2x,2y,2z)

Do i need to apply [itex]\nabla[/itex] operator again to the above [itex]\nabla[/itex](r)?

Does [itex]\nabla[/itex]([itex]\nabla[/itex](r)) equal [itex]\nabla[/itex]f(r)?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, of course not. For one thing, [itex]\nabla \nabla r[/itex] makes no sense. [itex]\nabla r[/itex] is a vector function and "[itex]\nabla f[/itex] has to be applied to a scalar function. Also, there is NO "f" in that. You would be saying that [itex]nabla f(r)[/itex] is the same for all functions! You need the chain rule:
[tex]\nabla f(r)= \frac{df}{dr}\nabla r[/tex]
df/dr will be a scalar function aand [itex]\nabla f[/itex] a vector function so this is scalar multiplication.

Or, equivalently, replace r in the function with [itex](x^2+ y^2+ z^2)^{1/2}[/itex] and find the gradient.

What is f?

Thanks for your reply. So far I've got;

[itex]\nabla[/itex](r) = (1/r) (x,y,z).

And then for df/dr = [itex]\partial[/itex]f[itex]_{x}[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x + [itex]\partial[/itex]f[itex]_{y}[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]y + [itex]\partial[/itex]f[itex]_{z}[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]z

Im unsure about what df/dr is.

Related to Finding Nabla Operator for f(r) with r = |R|

1. What is the Nabla operator and how is it used in mathematics?

The Nabla operator, also known as the del operator, is a vector calculus operator used to calculate the gradient, divergence, and curl of a vector field. It is represented by the symbol ∇ and is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other branches of mathematics.

2. How is the Nabla operator applied to a function with a variable in absolute value?

When the function has a variable in absolute value, such as f(r) with r = |R|, the Nabla operator can be applied by first rewriting the function in terms of the absolute value of the variable, and then using the chain rule to find the partial derivative with respect to the variable.

3. Can the Nabla operator be applied to any type of function?

Yes, the Nabla operator can be applied to any type of function, including scalar functions, vector functions, and even functions with multiple variables. However, the resulting gradient, divergence, or curl may vary depending on the type of function.

4. How does finding the Nabla operator for f(r) with r = |R| relate to real-world applications?

The use of the Nabla operator in finding the gradient, divergence, or curl of a function is essential in many real-world applications, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. It allows for the calculation of important physical quantities, such as velocity, electric and magnetic fields, and temperature gradients.

5. Are there any alternative methods for finding the Nabla operator for a function?

Yes, there are alternative methods for finding the Nabla operator, such as using vector calculus identities or using differential forms. These methods may be more efficient or easier to apply in certain situations, but ultimately, they all lead to the same result.