Finding Moments of Normal Distribution with Unknown Constant

In summary, the problem involves i.i.d. random variables following a normal distribution with a known positive constant "c" and an unknown positive constant \Theta. The task is to find the first four moments, such as E[Xj] where j=1,2,3,4. To solve this, the pdf of a normal distribution was used with the standard deviation (c*\Theta)^2. The expected value was then taken to obtain the first order moment. The integration process may be affected by the presence of (c\Theta)^2 compared to the usual N(\mu,\sigma) case.
doubleshadow1

Homework Statement

You have i.i.d. random variables X1,...,Xn ~ Normal ([tex]\Theta[/tex],c^2*[tex]\Theta[/tex]^2), where "c" is a known positive constant (relative variability = std. dev(X)/E[X]) and [tex]\Theta[/tex] is an unknown positive constant. Find the first four moments. E.g E[Xj] where j=1,2,3,4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i know the pdf of a normal distribution to be, and what i did was input (c*[tex]\Theta[/tex])2 as the standard deviation into this. Then I took the expected value of that to get the first order moment. Is this the proper way to do it? Does having (c[tex]\Theta[/tex])2 change how you integrate the expectation of a normal distribution relative to how you would for the usual N([tex]\mu[/tex],[tex]\sigma[/tex]) case?

Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

You have i.i.d. random variables X1,...,Xn ~ Normal ([tex]\Theta[/tex],c^2*[tex]\Theta[/tex]^2), where "c" is a known positive constant (relative variability = std. dev(X)/E[X]) and [tex]\Theta[/tex] is an unknown positive constant. Find the first four moments. E.g E[Xj] where j=1,2,3,4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i know the pdf of a normal distribution to be, and what i did was input (c*[tex]\Theta[/tex])^2 as the standard deviation into this. Then I took the expected value of that to get the first order moment. Is this the proper way to do it? Does having (c[tex]\Theta[/tex])^2 change how you integrate the expectation of a normal distribution relative to how you would for the usual N([tex]\mu[/tex],[tex]\sigma[/tex]) case?

Sorry the first one i formatted poorly, and couldn't figure it out. New to this forum, just figuring stuff out.

Related to Finding Moments of Normal Distribution with Unknown Constant

1. What is the concept of moments in normal distribution?

The moments of a normal distribution represent the statistical properties of the distribution, including its mean, variance, skewness, and kurtosis. These moments provide information about the shape, center, and spread of the distribution.

2. How are moments calculated in normal distribution?

The first moment, or mean, is calculated by summing all the data values and dividing by the total number of values. The second moment, or variance, is calculated by taking the sum of squared deviations from the mean and dividing by the total number of values. The third moment, or skewness, is calculated by taking the sum of cubed deviations from the mean and dividing by the total number of values. The fourth moment, or kurtosis, is calculated by taking the sum of fourth power deviations from the mean and dividing by the total number of values.

3. What is the significance of moments in normal distribution?

The moments of a normal distribution are used to describe the shape of the distribution and to compare it to other distributions. They also help in making inferences and predictions about the data.

4. How do moments affect the shape of a normal distribution?

The first moment, or mean, determines the center of the distribution. The second moment, or variance, determines the spread of the distribution. The third moment, or skewness, determines the symmetry of the distribution, with positive skewness indicating a longer tail on the right and negative skewness indicating a longer tail on the left. The fourth moment, or kurtosis, determines the peakedness of the distribution, with higher values indicating a more peaked distribution and lower values indicating a flatter distribution.

5. Can moments be used to test for normality?

Yes, moments can be used to test for normality by comparing the calculated values to the expected values for a normal distribution. However, it is important to note that moments alone cannot confirm or reject normality, as other factors such as sample size and outliers should also be considered.