Finding moment, relative to a different axis

In summary, the system given consists of 2 cords attached to point C and the force values of TCB and TCA are known. To find the moment relative to x,y,z, the formula M=MTCA+MTCB can be used. To find the momentum relative to axis OB, a new axis system is needed with OB as the "y" axis and an axis at a 63.43° angle from the z axis as the "z" axis. This requires finding the force Tx, shortest distance dz between Tx and the new z axis, force Tz, and shortest distance dx between Tz and the new x axis. It is not correct to say that the moment relative to OB is the same as the
Dell
given the following system:
2 cords are attached to point C,
http://picasaweb.google.com/devanlevin/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCL_4l4PpvP_YsQE&pli=1&gsessionid=oBksCECRwcHSRoX-oRPaRA#5329455433140212770

and knowing that
|TCB|=380N
|TCA|=450N

find:
1) the moment relative to x,y,z
2) the moment relative to the axis 'OB'

for the 1st part, what i did was
M=MTCA+MTCB
and i found that
MTCA=A×TCA
MTCB=B×TCB

now comes the problem, how do i find the momentum relative to OB, i know that i need to make a new axis system, where OB is my "y" axis, and an axis 90degrees to it(63.43° from z axis) will be my new "z" axis, while x will stay the same,
i found the angle of my new axis relative to the original system

α=angle between 'y' and OB
α=26.565°

to find the moment, i need

1) force Tx (which is the same force Tx i used before)
2) the shortest distance dz between Tx and my new z axis
3) force Tz
4) the shortest distance dx between Tz and my new x axis

i am not at all sure that this is correct, if you can see a better way let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
am i right in saying:

since the axis OB passes through the origin O, the moment relative to axis OB will be the same as the moment relative to O ?
BUT THAT DOESNT LOOK RIGHT TO ME,
i don't think that Mob should have any magnitude on the X axis since the line OB is on the y-z plane:

i thought that maybe i could do this:

since i can find the angle of OB, (comes to 26.565 degrees) i can say that since OB is on the YZ plane, the moment can only be My and Mz, so the moment around OB is:

(My/cos(26.565))j + (Mz/sin(26.565))k

is this correct??

Last edited:

I would like to commend you for your approach in solving this problem. Your use of vector notation and breaking down the moment into components is correct. To find the moment relative to the axis OB, you are correct in creating a new axis system where OB is the y-axis. However, there is a simpler way to find the moment using this new axis system.

First, let's define the new axis system as follows:
- x-axis: parallel to the original x-axis
- y-axis: along OB
- z-axis: perpendicular to both x and y-axis

Now, let's consider the force TCA acting at point C. This force has a component along the new y-axis (Ty) and a component along the new z-axis (Tz). The moment of TCA about the new y-axis is simply Ty multiplied by the distance from the point of application (C) to the new y-axis (OB). Similarly, the moment of TCA about the new z-axis is Tz multiplied by the distance from C to the new z-axis (which is the same as the distance from C to the original z-axis). So, the total moment of TCA about the new axis OB is:

MTCO = Ty * OB + Tz * CB

Similarly, the moment of TCB about the new axis OB is:

MTCO = Tx * OB + Tz * CA

Therefore, the total moment relative to the axis OB is the sum of these two moments:

M = MTCO + MTCB = (Ty * OB + Tz * CB) + (Tx * OB + Tz * CA)

I hope this helps you to find the moment relative to the axis OB. Keep up the good work!

Related to Finding moment, relative to a different axis

1. What is the definition of moment in physics?

Moment, also known as torque, is the measure of the tendency of a force to cause an object to rotate about an axis.

2. How do you find the moment of a force relative to a different axis?

To find the moment of a force relative to a different axis, you can use the formula: M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the magnitude of the force, and d is the distance from the axis to the line of action of the force.

3. What is the difference between a positive and negative moment?

A positive moment is one that causes an object to rotate in the counterclockwise direction, while a negative moment causes an object to rotate in the clockwise direction.

4. How does the distance from the axis affect the moment of a force?

The farther the distance from the axis, the greater the moment of a force will be. This is because a larger distance increases the lever arm, which is the perpendicular distance from the axis to the line of action of the force.

5. Can the moment of a force be zero?

Yes, the moment of a force can be zero if the force is applied at the axis of rotation or if the force is parallel to the axis of rotation.