Moment of inertia around displaced and rotated axis

In summary, the homework statement asks for the moment of inertia around the z axis of a body that has radial symmetry and is in polar coordinates. Using the polar coordinates and the equations for the moment of inertia, the body has an I_{y'\:y'} of 1/4.
kontejnjer

Homework Statement

A homogenous disk with radius [itex]R[/itex] and mass [itex]m[/itex] lies in the xy plane so its center matches the origin [itex]O[/itex]. Point [itex]O'[/itex] is on the z axis at a distance [itex]s[/itex] from point [itex]O[/itex]. Axis [itex]y'[/itex] passes through point [itex]O'[/itex] at an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the z axis. Find the moment of inertia around axis [itex]y'[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]I_{ij}=\int dm(\delta_{ij}r^2-x_{i}x_{j})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The new coordinates x',y',z' are connected with the old x,y,z through the equations:

[itex]x'=x[/itex]
[itex]y'=y\text{sin}\theta+(z-s)\text{cos}\theta[/itex]
[itex]z'=-y\text{cos}\theta+(z-s)\text{sin}\theta[/itex]

Since the body has radial symmetry and is 2 dimensional, we can use polar coordinates:

[itex]x=rcos\varphi[/itex]
[itex]y=rsin\varphi[/itex]

and the third coordinate z=0 since its in the xy plane, hence:

[itex]x'=r\text{cos}\varphi[/itex]
[itex]y'=r\text{sin}\varphi \text{sin}\theta-s\:\text{cos}\theta[/itex]
[itex]z'=-r\text{sin}\varphi \text{cos}\theta-s\:\text{sin}\theta[/itex]

The body is homogenous so:

[itex]\sigma=\frac{dm}{dA}=const.\rightarrow dm=\sigma dA[/itex]
[itex]\sigma=\frac{m}{A}=\frac{m}{\pi\:R^{2}}[/itex]

In polar coordinates:

[itex]dA=r\:drd\varphi[/itex]

with limits:

[itex]0\leq r\leq R[/itex]
[itex]0\leq \varphi\leq 2\pi[/itex]

However, I'm not sure whether the "moment of inertia" would in this case mean the [itex]I_{y'\:y'}[/itex] component from the inertia tensor. If that's the case, then:
[itex]I_{y'\:y'}=\int dm(x'^2+z'^2)=\sigma \int \int r\:drd\varphi[(r\text{cos}\varphi)^2+(-r\text{sin}\varphi \text{cos}\theta-s\:\text{sin}\theta)^2][/itex]
which Wolfram evaluates as:
[itex]I_{y'\:y'}=\frac{1}{4} m \left(R^2+R^2 \text{cos}^2\theta+4 s^2 \text{sin}^2\theta\right)[/itex]

Would this be the correct procedure or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a picture associated with the problem description?

Not really, but from the description I'm guessing it looks like the attached pic. Also, [itex]y'[/itex] in the pic should lie in the yz plane, and x',y',z' are orthogonal axes (again, that's what I'm assuming as no picture was given).

Attachments

• sketch.jpg
    sketch.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 453

Related to Moment of inertia around displaced and rotated axis

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is a physical property that depends on the mass distribution of an object and the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia around an axis is calculated by summing the products of the mass elements of the object and the square of their distances from the axis. It is represented by the symbol "I" and has units of kilogram-meter squared (kg·m^2).

3. How is moment of inertia affected by displacement?

When an object is displaced from its original axis of rotation, its moment of inertia changes. This is because the distance between the mass elements and the axis of rotation changes, affecting the distribution of mass and therefore the object's resistance to rotational motion.

4. What is the relationship between moment of inertia and rotational energy?

The moment of inertia and the rotational energy of an object are directly related. The greater the moment of inertia, the more rotational energy is required to rotate the object at a given angular velocity. Similarly, a larger rotational energy will result in a greater angular velocity for an object with a given moment of inertia.

5. How does the orientation of the axis of rotation affect moment of inertia?

The orientation of the axis of rotation has a significant impact on the moment of inertia of an object. If the axis of rotation is parallel to the object's principal axis of inertia, the moment of inertia will be at its minimum. However, if the axis of rotation is perpendicular to the principal axis, the moment of inertia will be at its maximum.