Finding moment of inertia for a hemisphere

In summary, the moment of inertia of a hollow hemisphere sliced in half would be half of what it would be for a complete spherical shell. This is because each half would have the same moment of inertia about the x-axis, and the moment of inertia of the whole sphere would be the sum of the two.
dinospamoni

Homework Statement

A thin walled hollow sphere of radius 16 cm is sliced in half. What is the moment of inertia of this hollow hemisphere about the x-axis if the areal density is 90 g/cm2?

Homework Equations

No idea

The Attempt at a Solution

I've had no luck with this. I've already found the outward facing area of the sphere and the z component of the center of mass, if that help.

Really anything that could set me on the right track would be awesome

Attachments

• prob09-08.gif
    prob09-08.gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 988
Physics news on Phys.org
Would it help to think about what the answer would be for a complete spherical shell?

For a complete spherical shell, it would be the same in all directions.

So for half a shell, would it be half of what it would if it were a whole sphere? I feel like that's too easy

dinospamoni said:
For a complete spherical shell, it would be the same in all directions.

So for half a shell, would it be half of what it would if it were a whole sphere? I feel like that's too easy

Now and then, a problem is much easier than it seems. Each half would have the same MI about this axis, and the MI of the whole sphere would be the sum of the two.

Does this mean MI_z=2*MI_x?

No, it would be the same. Whether you cut the sphere in half along the axis of rotation or perpendicular to it, you produce two halves with the same MI about the axis, so each half must have half the MI of the whole sphere.

Ah I see now. Thanks a ton!

Related to Finding moment of inertia for a hemisphere

1. What is the formula for calculating the moment of inertia for a hemisphere?

The moment of inertia for a hemisphere can be calculated using the formula I = (2/5)mr^2, where m is the mass of the hemisphere and r is the radius.

2. How do you determine the mass of a hemisphere?

The mass of a hemisphere can be determined by using its density and volume. The formula for mass is m = ρV, where ρ is the density and V is the volume.

3. Is the moment of inertia affected by the orientation of the hemisphere?

Yes, the moment of inertia is affected by the orientation of the hemisphere. The formula for moment of inertia assumes that the hemisphere is oriented along its axis of symmetry, so if the orientation is different, the moment of inertia will also be different.

4. How does the moment of inertia change if the mass or radius of the hemisphere is increased?

If the mass or radius of the hemisphere is increased, the moment of inertia will also increase. This is because both the mass and radius are directly proportional to the moment of inertia in the formula I = (2/5)mr^2.

5. Can the moment of inertia for a hemisphere be negative?

No, the moment of inertia for a hemisphere cannot be negative. It is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion, and therefore it must always be positive.