Objects with Different Moments of Inertia Rolling Down an Inclined Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inertia and its relation to different shapes and distributions of mass. The question is about determining the time required for an object to roll down an incline based on its moment of inertia, and the participants also discuss the special solid cylinder with a proportional density distribution.
lc99

Homework Statement

upload_2018-2-15_1-43-24.png

Homework Equations

inertia equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the answer for this is B) or D) but I am not sure what the sentence "a special solid cylinder in which the density is proportional to the radius" means...

The solid sphere has little inertia because mass is closer. So , solid sphere will not be last compared to the hollow sphere. The frictionless cube will not be last because most of the energy will go into KE and not RE , so the energy is not wasted. It will go down faster.

The hollow sphere will have less inertia than the hollow cylinder because the mass is closer to center of mass. Choosing between, hollow cylinder and solid cylinder... i think it might be hollow cylinder

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-15_1-43-24.png
    upload_2018-2-15_1-43-24.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 939
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
lc99 said:
a special solid cylinder in which the density is propotional to the radius
It just means that the cylinder has been constructed so as to have that density distribution, with the centre less dense than the outside.
lc99 said:
i think it might be hollow cylinder
Right... so why did you say B or D?

I think you have some good insight into the problem. Not sure what your question is about the special solid cylinder.

You could use conservation of energy to figure out the time required for an object to roll down. The change in potential energy is from the vertical distance the center of mass has moved. The kinetic energy is ##\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2##. The kinetic energy is equal to the change in potential energy, positive. So you get ##\omega##, the angular rate of rotation, as a function of the vertical distance moved s. You have ##\frac{d s}{d t} = \omega R sin(\theta)## where R is the radius of the sphere or cylinder and ##\theta## is the angle of the incline. You can the integrate ##dt = \frac{d s}{(\frac{ds}{dt})}##.

The time mainly depends on ##\sqrt{\frac{I}{MR^2}}##

I think there is a second term in the kinetic energy, ##\frac{1}{2}mV^{2} = \frac{1}{2}R^{2}\omega^2##. This adds a term to I in the final expression for the time to roll down.

Gene Naden said:
I think there is a second term in the kinetic energy, ##\frac{1}{2}mV^{2} = \frac{1}{2}R^{2}\omega^2##. This adds a term to I in the final expression for the time to roll down.
It depends which I you use. If you take moment of inertia about the point of contact then you don't need to a linear term.

Related to Objects with Different Moments of Inertia Rolling Down an Inclined Plane

1. What is the moment of inertia for an object rolling down an inclined plane?

The moment of inertia for an object rolling down an inclined plane depends on the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass. In general, the moment of inertia will be larger for objects with more mass and a more spread out distribution of mass.

2. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the object's rolling motion?

The steeper the inclined plane, the faster the object will roll down. This is because the steeper angle increases the component of gravity acting on the object, causing it to accelerate more.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of an object rolling down an inclined plane?

The acceleration of an object rolling down an inclined plane is affected by the angle of the incline, the mass of the object, and the distribution of mass in the object. Additionally, the presence of friction and air resistance can also affect the acceleration.

4. Can an object with a smaller moment of inertia roll faster than an object with a larger moment of inertia?

Yes, an object with a smaller moment of inertia can roll faster than an object with a larger moment of inertia, given that all other factors (such as mass and angle of incline) are the same. This is because objects with smaller moments of inertia require less torque to rotate and therefore can accelerate more quickly.

5. How does friction affect the rolling motion of an object down an inclined plane?

Friction can slow down the rolling motion of an object down an inclined plane. This is because friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, creating a resistance force that can slow down the object's acceleration. However, a small amount of friction can also help the object maintain a steady speed once it has reached a constant velocity.