Finding Minimum Mass for Slope Block System

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the minimum mass M1 that will stick and not slip for an object resting on a slope with given coefficients of friction, connected via a massless string to a hanging block. The conversation involves equations and the understanding that friction is an inequality when an object is at rest. It is also noted that the sign of the friction force should be opposite the direction of the tension force.
cclawfjj
A block of mass M resting on a 19.1° slope is shown. The block has coefficients of friction μs=0.788 and μk=0.482 with the surface. It is connected via a massless string over a massless, frictionless pulley to a hanging block of mass 1.86 kg. What is the minimum mass M1 that will stick and not slip?

http://capa.physics.mcmaster.ca/figures/kn/Graph08/kn-pic0836.png

In terms of mass 1, following eqn can be written:

m1g sin 19.1 - T - Ff = 0

which can be rewritten as:

m1g sin 19.1 - T - m1g cos 19.1 (friction coefficient) = 0
right? since the object is at rest.
then i found T by equating it to m2g (T = m2g...see the diagram as to why i have donet this)

Hence m1g sin 19.1 - m2g - m1g cos 19.1 (0.788) = 0
and then solved for m1...but I am not getting the right answer
I don't understand why my approach is wrong...where did i go wrong here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
when an object is at rest, the equation representing the coefficients of friction isn't an equality, but an inequality. [tex] f= \mu R [/tex] only when the system is in limiting equilibrium or moving. I appreciate that's what you're trying to find here, but it's an important point to bear in mind.

And after a quick glance at your approach, it looks fine to me. I think it's probably arithmetic error... you are using the appropriate coefficient of friction, yes?

Last edited:
By "minimum mass M1 that will stick and not slip" isn't it meant "slip" as in move upwards or to the right? Because shouldn't then the sign of the friction force change, and be against the direction of the probable movement, that is opposite the direction of the tension force?

actually, yes, it should. Sorry I never noticed that, myh bad I was probably off it or something. Thank you for picking that up

Related to Finding Minimum Mass for Slope Block System

What is the purpose of finding the minimum mass for a slope block system?

The purpose of finding the minimum mass for a slope block system is to determine the minimum amount of mass required to keep the system stable and prevent it from sliding or toppling down the slope. This is important in engineering and construction to ensure the safety and stability of structures built on slopes.

What factors influence the minimum mass needed for a slope block system?

The minimum mass needed for a slope block system is influenced by several factors, including the steepness and composition of the slope, the weight and dimensions of the blocks, and the coefficient of friction between the blocks and the slope surface. Other factors such as external forces, such as wind or earthquakes, may also need to be considered.

How is the minimum mass for a slope block system calculated?

The minimum mass for a slope block system is typically calculated using the principles of statics and the equations of equilibrium. By analyzing the forces acting on the system, the minimum mass can be determined to keep it in a stable state. Computer simulations and physical experiments may also be used to validate the calculated minimum mass.

What are the potential consequences of not finding the minimum mass for a slope block system?

If the minimum mass for a slope block system is not accurately determined, it can lead to unstable structures and potential hazards. The system may fail under the weight or external forces, causing damage to the structure and potentially putting people in danger. It is crucial to find the minimum mass to ensure the safety and stability of the slope block system.

Are there any methods to reduce the minimum mass needed for a slope block system?

Yes, there are various methods that can be used to reduce the minimum mass needed for a slope block system. These include increasing the coefficient of friction between the blocks and the slope surface, using lighter materials for the blocks, and incorporating additional reinforcement or support structures. However, it is essential to carefully consider the potential trade-offs and consequences of reducing the minimum mass for the system.