Finding minimum distance between two points on two different parabolas

In summary, the person tried to solve the equation but got stuck. They then asked for help and were told to try a test case.
smashX
Hi everyone. I've got a homework problem with Differential Calculus that drives me crazy for a couple of days so far and would like to ask you guys for a few suggestions

Homework Statement

Given two parabolas, (C1): y = x2 and (C2): y = - (4-x)2. Find two points, each point on one parabola so that the distance between them is smallest.

Homework Equations

The distance equation (I think)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I called the point on (C1) (x1, y1), the other point (x2, y2). After that, I set up the distance equation and replace both y(s) with their respective x(s) as follow:

equation.png

After that I got stuck ... since I don't know how to differentiate an equation with two variables. Here I need to find the minimum of d, which is the distance between the two points.
I wonder if my approach to the problem is wrong or what. Any suggestion is highly appreciated. Thank you.

And just a small question: I see lots of people type equations in our forum directly. Could you please show me how to do this? Every time I need to type a math formula, I have to open Word and it took me lots of time :( Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
To minimize with respect to 2 variables, you just take the partial derivative of d with respect to x1, set it to 0, then take the partial derivative with respect to x2 and set that to 0. However, it's easier to minimize d^2, because you don't have to deal with the square root.

And just a small question: I see lots of people type equations in our forum directly. Could you please show me how to do this? Every time I need to type a math formula, I have to open Word and it took me lots of time :( Thanks again.

PF supports LaTex. See this for a tutorial: http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwilkins/LaTeXPrimer/

With simple expressions, it's usually easier to write them without LaTex.

Thank you very much for your clear suggestion. Actually, I don't know what in the world is partial differentiation (I'm just in my first semester of calculus ^^), so I just googled it and I get it now. Basically, I think it looks just like implicit differentiation. Anyway, after doing as you instructed, I got to this point:

(x12 + (x2 - 4)2) (x2 - 4 + x1) = 0

Solving the first part of the equation, I got x1 = 0 and x2 = 4. I usually trust myself but in this case, it seems a little bit weird. Does that mean the line segment between the two vertices (actually it's on the x-axis too!) is the shortest one? If you had some time, would you please take a look at it? Somehow I doubt this result ... sorry for the trouble and thank you once again.

And by the way, is there any other way to solve this problem? I doubt my instructor will get irritated if I turn in something that is solved by using the second-semester material ... he told us to do this by using what we learned in the section Optimization Problem of the Applications of Differentiation chapter.

Try a test case:

I picked x1 = 1 resulting in (1,1)1 and x2 = 4 resulting in (4,0)2. The distance between those two points is 101/2 (squareroot of 10). That is less than 4 using (0,0)(1) to (4,0)(2) which are the points you found.

I see, so my results were wrong after all hmm
I tried to differentiate again but I didn't find any errors.
Any other suggestions please, thank you.

Related to Finding minimum distance between two points on two different parabolas

1. What is the formula for finding the minimum distance between two points on two different parabolas?

The formula for finding the minimum distance between two points on two different parabolas is:

d = √[(x1 - x2)^2 + (y1 - y2)^2]

Where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are the coordinates of the two points.

2. How do you find the coordinates of the points that give the minimum distance?

To find the coordinates of the points that give the minimum distance, you can use the following steps:

• Step 1: Set the derivatives of the two parabolas equal to each other.
  • Step 2: Solve the resulting equation for x.
  • Step 3: Substitute the value of x into one of the original parabola equations to find the corresponding y value.
  • Step 4: Repeat for the second parabola to find the other coordinate.

3. Can the minimum distance between two points on two different parabolas be negative?

No, the minimum distance between two points on two different parabolas cannot be negative. Distance is a positive quantity and the formula for finding the distance only involves positive operations (such as squaring and taking the square root).

4. How do you interpret the minimum distance between two points on two different parabolas?

The minimum distance between two points on two different parabolas represents the shortest distance between the two curves. In other words, it is the distance between the two points that are closest to each other on the two parabolas. This distance can be thought of as the length of a straight line connecting the two points.

5. Can the minimum distance between two points on two different parabolas be zero?

Yes, the minimum distance between two points on two different parabolas can be zero. This would occur when the two parabolas intersect at one or more points, meaning that there is an infinite number of points that have a distance of zero between them.