Finding maximum or minimum of volume of solid revolved about a region

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum or minimum volume of a solid formed by revolving a plane region about a horizontal line. The volume is calculated using the washer's method and the parameter c is varied to find the optimal value. The person in the conversation is unsure whether to differentiate the entire volume formula or just one of the bounding curves.
taekwondo22
Question:

For c>0, the graphs of y=(c^2)(x^2) and y=c bound a plane region. Revolve this region about the horizontal line y= -(1/c) to form a solid.

For what value of c is the volume of this solid a maximal or minimal (Use calculus 1 techniques).

First, I found the volume of this solid using the washer's method and I got this answer:

∏ [(2c^2 +4)* square root of (1/c) - (2c^4/5)*(1/c)^(5/2) - (4c/3)* (1/c)^ (3/2)]
I know that in order to find the maximum or minimum, I have to find the first derivative of the function and then use the sign chart, etc. But I am not sure whether I will have to use the volume I got above for the solid. Do I just differentiate only y=(c^2)(x^2) and find the critical values?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your confusion. You want to find c that will maximize or minimize the volume. Of course, it is the volume you must differentiate, with respect to c, not just one of the curves bounding the region.

I'm not sure whether you got the volume correct, because I can't tell what order the operations should be done (not enough brackets in the answer).

But assuming you have done it right, then you've got the volume which depends on the parameter c. You're trying to find out what the parameter c must be for volume to be maximum.

You're trying to find the max of the volume, so this is a big clue as to what you should differentiate. Equivalently, you could just draw a graph of volume against c and find the max/min points. That is all you are doing when you differentiate to find max/min.

Related to Finding maximum or minimum of volume of solid revolved about a region

1. How do you find the maximum or minimum volume of a solid revolved about a region?

To find the maximum or minimum volume of a solid revolved about a region, you need to use the method of cylindrical shells or the method of disks/washers. Both methods involve integrating the cross-sectional area of the solid with respect to the axis of revolution.

2. What is the difference between the method of cylindrical shells and the method of disks/washers?

The method of cylindrical shells involves integrating the circumference of a shell (formed by revolving a vertical strip of the solid) with the height of the shell, while the method of disks/washers involves integrating the area of a disk or washer (formed by revolving a horizontal slice of the solid) with the radius of the disk/washer. Both methods will give the same result, but the choice of which method to use depends on the shape of the solid and the region of revolution.

3. Can you use the method of cylindrical shells or disks/washers for any shape and region of revolution?

Yes, both methods can be used for any shape and region of revolution, as long as the cross-sectional area can be expressed as a function of the axis of revolution. However, for some shapes and regions, one method may be more convenient or efficient to use than the other.

4. Are there any special cases when finding the maximum or minimum volume of a solid revolved about a region?

Yes, there are some special cases, such as when the region of revolution is a rectangle or a semicircle. In these cases, the formula for finding the volume may be simpler and the integration may be easier to perform.

5. How can I check if I have correctly found the maximum or minimum volume of a solid revolved about a region?

You can check your answer by using the method of cylindrical shells or disks/washers to find the volume again. If you get the same result, then your answer is likely correct. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to graph the solid and the region of revolution, and visually verify if the volume you found is reasonable and accurate.