Finding magnitude of horizontal velocity

In summary, the problem involves a cannonball that is launched horizontally from the top of a cliff with a speed of 45.0 m/s. The task is to determine the horizontal and vertical velocities of the cannonball after 1.0 second intervals, using the kinematic equations and a gravity value of -9.8 m/s/s. The formula for vertical velocity is vy=-g*t.
hello115897

Homework Statement

A cannonball is launched horizontally from the top of a tall cliff with a horizontal speed of 45.0 m/s. The trajectory of the ball is shown in the diagram at the right. Determine the magnitude of the horizontal velocity and the vertical velocities of the cannonball after each of the 1.0 second time intervals. Use -9.8 m/s/s to calculate the values.

find horizontal velocity for t=1 second, t=2 seconds, t=3 seconds, t=4 seconds

Homework Equations

kinematic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i think i would use the equation d=vit+1/2at^2
so i'd do 1/2(9.8)(1)^2
so it would be 4.9?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hello115897 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

i think i would use the equation d=vit+1/2at^2
so i'd do 1/2(9.8)(1)^2
so it would be -4.9?
It's minus because it is faced downward ---> vy=vy0t-(1/2)*g*t2

im still not getting the right answer...

hello115897 said:
im still not getting the right answer...
Ups, I'm so sorry. That was the formula for displacement-d. The formula for vertical velocity would be:
vy=-g*t.

Related to Finding magnitude of horizontal velocity

1. What is the formula for finding the magnitude of horizontal velocity?

The formula for finding the magnitude of horizontal velocity is v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time.

2. How is the magnitude of horizontal velocity different from speed?

The magnitude of horizontal velocity refers to the absolute value of the velocity, while speed refers to the rate at which an object is moving. The magnitude of horizontal velocity takes into account the direction of the velocity, while speed does not.

3. What units are used to measure the magnitude of horizontal velocity?

The units of measurement for the magnitude of horizontal velocity depend on the units used for distance and time. For example, if the distance is measured in meters and the time is measured in seconds, the magnitude of horizontal velocity would be measured in meters per second (m/s).

4. How is the magnitude of horizontal velocity calculated in a real-world scenario?

In a real-world scenario, the magnitude of horizontal velocity can be calculated by using a device such as a radar gun to measure the distance and time it takes for an object to travel. This data can then be used in the formula v = d/t to determine the magnitude of horizontal velocity.

5. Why is finding the magnitude of horizontal velocity important in science?

Finding the magnitude of horizontal velocity is important in science because it allows us to understand and predict the motion of objects. It is also a key component in many scientific experiments and research, such as studying the motion of projectiles or analyzing the speed and direction of moving objects.