Finding magnitude of electrostatic force

In summary, the formula for finding the electrostatic force between two particles is: kq1q2/ [(y2-y1)2 + (x2-x1)2]
transmini
We have a question about finding the electrostatic force acting on a particle from another particle. They are colinear since there is only the 2 particles, but not along an axis.

My question is, why does finding the force in the x direction and finding the force in the why direction, then doing

√(Fx2 + Fy2) not give me the same answer as if I did

kq1q2/ [(y2-y1)2 + (x2-x1)2]?

I'm new to typing on here also so I'm not quite sure about complete formatting yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
transmini said:
My question is, why does finding the force in the x direction and finding the force in the why direction, then doing

√(Fx2 + Fy2) not give me the same answer as if I did

kq1q2/ [(y2-y1)2 + (x2-x1)2]?

It should give the the same answer if you found Fx and Fy correctly.

However, it is easier to find the force directly using kq1q2/ [(y2-y1)2 + (x2-x1)2]

TSny said:
It should give the the same answer if you found Fx and Fy correctly.

However, it is easier to find the force directly using kq1q2/ [(y2-y1)2 + (x2-x1)2]

My guess would be I didn't find them correctly then. I used the formula for electrostatic force, except for r2, I used (x2-x1)2 and did a similar thing for the y direction

transmini said:
My guess would be I didn't find them correctly then. I used the formula for electrostatic force, except for r2, I used (x2-x1)2 and did a similar thing for the y direction
That's not the correct way to get the components. To convince yourself of that, suppose the two charges were both on the y-axis. What would you get for the x-component of the force if you used (x2-x1)2 for r2?

TSny said:
That's not the correct way to get the components. To convince yourself of that, suppose the two charges were both on the y-axis. What would you get for the x-component of the force if you used (x2-x1)2 for r2?

We would end up with 0, making the component undefined, which wouldn't make sense. So why it doesn't work makes sense now, but how would you go about finding the components, despite finding the magnitude first being easier?

Last edited:
The force is parallel to the line connecting the particles. The angle θ that the force makes to the x-axis is the same as the angle that the connecting line makes to the x axis.

So, ##\cos\theta = \frac{x_2-x_1}{r}## and ##F_x = F \cos\theta = \frac{kq_1q_2 (x_2-x_1)}{r^3}##

Similarly for the y component.

Okay, I see where that comes from now and that makes sense as well. Thanks for the help!

Related to Finding magnitude of electrostatic force

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of electrostatic force?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of electrostatic force is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force in Newtons, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges in Coulombs, and r is the distance between the charges in meters.

2. How is the magnitude of electrostatic force affected by distance?

The magnitude of electrostatic force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the force decreases. For example, if the distance between two charges is doubled, the force between them will decrease by a factor of four.

3. Can the magnitude of electrostatic force be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of electrostatic force can be negative. This occurs when the charges involved are of opposite signs, resulting in an attractive force between them. However, when calculating the magnitude, the negative sign is ignored and the force is considered to be positive.

4. What units are used to measure the magnitude of electrostatic force?

The magnitude of electrostatic force is measured in Newtons (N) in the SI system of units. In the CGS system of units, the force is measured in dynes (dyn). Both systems are commonly used in scientific calculations.

5. How does the magnitude of electrostatic force compare to other types of forces?

The magnitude of electrostatic force can vary greatly depending on the charges involved and the distance between them. However, it is generally much stronger than gravitational force, but weaker than nuclear force. It is also stronger than magnetic force, but only when the charges are stationary.