Finding Magnitude of complex number expression

In summary: This is the basic principle behind polar form, and why it's easier to do complex arithmetic in polar form instead of rectangular form. In summary, the solution of finding the magnitude of a complex expression can be simplified by using the property that the magnitude of a complex number is equal to the magnitude of its real and imaginary parts. This allows for a quicker and simpler approach to solving complex problems, as shown in the example given by the student's professor. This property holds for both multiplication and division of complex numbers and can be extended to more complex expressions.
mkematt96

Homework Statement

We are given Z, and are asked to find the magnitude of the expression. See attached picture(s)

Homework Equations

See attached pictures(s)

The Attempt at a Solution

When I solved it on the exam, I did it the long way using De Moivre's theorem. I ended up making a few sign errors which cost me points. When my professor went over the exam, he did the problem as shown on the second picture with the purple pen writing. What I am wondering is why you can solve it this way? Why in the denominator you can just multiple the magnitude of both terms without having to evaluate it?
File_000.jpeg
File_000 (1).jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
mkematt96 said:

Homework Statement

We are given Z, and are asked to find the magnitude of the expression. See attached picture(s)

Homework Equations

See attached pictures(s)

The Attempt at a Solution

When I solved it on the exam, I did it the long way using De Moivre's theorem. I ended up making a few sign errors which cost me points. When my professor went over the exam, he did the problem as shown on the second picture with the purple pen writing. What I am wondering is why you can solve it this way? Why in the denominator you can just multiple the magnitude of both terms without having to evaluate it? View attachment 203453 View attachment 203454
Because, for example, ##|\frac z 2 | = \frac {|z|} 2##. The denominator in the original problem is a real number. The work done in just a few lines (in purple) is extension of my example. Being much simpler, it's the better approach.

More generally, ##|\frac z w | = \frac {|z|} {|w|}##. For example, if z = |z|ei*argz and w = |w|ei*argw, then you can write z / w as (|z|/|w|)*ei*(argz-argw).Since ei*a has a magnitude of 1, then it has no effect on the magnitude.

In general when you multiply two complex numbers, you multiply the magnitudes and add the angles. Dividing, you divide the magnitudes and subtract the angles.

Related to Finding Magnitude of complex number expression

1. What is the definition of magnitude in a complex number expression?

The magnitude of a complex number expression is the distance from the origin to the point on the complex plane represented by the expression. It is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts of the expression.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a complex number expression?

To find the magnitude of a complex number expression, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. First, square the real and imaginary parts of the expression. Then, add them together and take the square root of the sum to get the magnitude.

3. Can the magnitude of a complex number expression be negative?

No, the magnitude of a complex number expression is always a positive value. This is because it represents a distance and distance cannot be negative.

4. How is the magnitude of a complex number expression related to its absolute value?

The magnitude of a complex number expression is equal to its absolute value. This is because the absolute value of a complex number is the distance from the origin to the point on the complex plane represented by the number, which is the definition of magnitude.

5. Why is it important to find the magnitude of a complex number expression?

The magnitude of a complex number expression gives us information about the size or strength of the number. It can also help us understand the behavior of the expression when performing operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Additionally, the magnitude can be used to convert the expression to polar form, which can be useful in certain applications.