Finding Limits of Trig Functions

In summary, the conversation is about two problems involving limits and the use of trigonometric identities to simplify the expressions. The first problem can be simplified by rewriting it as (1/5)(sinx/x) and then taking the limit, while the second problem can be solved by using the power series for sin(x) and cos(x) and realizing that the lowest power of x in the numerator is higher than the highest power of x in the denominator.
cheerspens

Homework Statement

The first problem I'm having difficulty with is

[itex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{sin x}{5x}[/itex]

And the second is:
[itex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{sin x(1-cos x)}{2x^{2}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

I assume that for the first problem I need to simplify it to the rule where [itex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{sin x}{x}[/itex]=1
and the second would probably need to simplify to follow the rule [itex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1-cos x}{x}[/itex]=0

The Attempt at a Solution

What I mainly need help with is how to get started. For the first problem, how do I get rid of the 5x at the bottom?
For the second problem should I square the entire thing and end up with [itex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{2sin x}{4x^{4}}[/itex] then go from there or is that even correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
cheerspens said:

The Attempt at a Solution

What I mainly need help with is how to get started. For the first problem, how do I get rid of the 5x at the bottom?
For the second problem should I square the entire thing and end up with [itex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{2sin x}{4x^{4}}[/itex] then go from there or is that even correct?

Rewrite the first one as (1/5)(sinx/x) then take the limit.

use the fact that x2=x*x and then try to get sinx/x and (1-cosx)/x then use the fact that lim(x→a) f*g = lim(x→a) f * lim(x→a) g

Use the power series for sin(x) and cos(x).

You already know the first answer is 1/5.

Second problem:
cos x = 1 - ax^2 + bx^4 + ... etc. since it's an even function.
sin x = cx + dx^3 + ... etc. since it's an odd function.
Then take the first two terms of cos x and the first term of sin x in your expression, realize that the lowest power of x in the numerator is higher than the highest power of x in the denominator, and bingo!

Related to Finding Limits of Trig Functions

1. What are the different methods for finding limits of trigonometric functions?

There are three main methods for finding limits of trigonometric functions: substitution, factoring, and trigonometric identities. Substitution involves replacing the variable with the limit value and simplifying the function. Factoring involves factoring out the common factor from the numerator and denominator and cancelling out any common factors. Trigonometric identities involve using basic trigonometric identities to simplify the function and then applying one of the other two methods.

2. How do I know if a limit of a trigonometric function does not exist?

If a trigonometric function has a discontinuity at the limit value, then the limit does not exist. This can occur when the function has a vertical asymptote, a jump discontinuity, or an infinite oscillation. Additionally, if the right-hand and left-hand limits at the given value are not equal, then the overall limit does not exist.

3. Can I use L'Hopital's Rule to find limits of trigonometric functions?

Yes, L'Hopital's Rule can be used to find limits of trigonometric functions. However, the function must be in an indeterminate form (such as 0/0 or ∞/∞) for the rule to apply. Additionally, the derivative of the function must also be in an indeterminate form for the rule to be effective.

4. How can I use a graph to find the limit of a trigonometric function?

To use a graph to find the limit of a trigonometric function, you can plot the function and observe the behavior of the graph as the input values approach the limit value. If the graph has a clear endpoint or approaches a specific value, then that value will be the limit. However, if the graph has an infinite oscillation or does not have a clear endpoint, then the limit does not exist.

5. Are there any special cases when finding limits of trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are a few special cases when finding limits of trigonometric functions. One case is when the function involves a trigonometric identity that can be simplified to a different function. In this case, the limit can be found by substituting the limit value into the simplified function. Another case is when the function involves an inverse trigonometric function, in which case the limit can be found by using the definition of the inverse function.