Finding length segment of an ellipse

In summary, the person is struggling with solving solid of revolution problems that involve finding the length of a segment before evaluating the problem. They provide an example involving an ellipse and ask for help in arriving at the correct result. They also mention that they are posting from an iPad and apologize if the question format is incorrect. They clarify that they are unsure about the meaning of "find L = f(x)" and ask for clarification on what type of length (volume or surface area) they should be finding.
highwhey

Homework Statement

i'm having trouble with these solid of revolution problems because a lot of them require you to find "length of the segment" before evaluating the problem. example:
a solid lies between planes perpendicular to x=-5 and x=5. the cross section in the xy plane is the ellipse ((x2)/25)+((y2)/36)=1.

Homework Equations

find L=f(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

does that mean i mean i have to make the given equation a function of x? because when i attempt that, it does not turn out to be correct.
according to the example this is the correct result, L=(12/5)√(25-x2) how can i arrive at that result?

thank you in advance. by the way, i am posting from my ipad so if the format of the question is not correct, i apologize.

Physics news on Phys.org
highwhey said:

Homework Statement

i'm having trouble with these solid of revolution problems because a lot of them require you to find "length of the segment" before evaluating the problem. example:
a solid lies between planes perpendicular to x=-5 and x=5. the cross section in the xy plane is the ellipse ((x2)/25)+((y2)/36)=1.

Homework Equations

find L=f(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

does that mean i mean i have to make the given equation a function of x? because when i attempt that, it does not turn out to be correct.
according to the example this is the correct result, L=(12/5)√(25-x2) how can i arrive at that result?

thank you in advance. by the way, i am posting from my ipad so if the format of the question is not correct, i apologize.

I have no idea what you are asking. What does "find L = f(x)" mean? Or "find a length segment"? Volume or surface area might make sense.

[Edit] Maybe you are asking for the radius of revolution about the x axis? In which case you would solve for y.

Related to Finding length segment of an ellipse

What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a geometric shape that resembles a flattened circle. It is defined as the set of all points in a plane, the sum of whose distances from two fixed points (the foci) is constant.

How do you find the length segment of an ellipse?

To find the length segment of an ellipse, you will need to know the major axis and minor axis of the ellipse. The length segment is equal to the length of the major axis divided by two. This can be represented as L = a/2, where L is the length segment and a is the length of the major axis.

What is the major axis of an ellipse?

The major axis of an ellipse is the longest diameter of the ellipse, which passes through the two foci and the center of the ellipse. It is also known as the major diameter or the major semi-axis.

What is the minor axis of an ellipse?

The minor axis of an ellipse is the shortest diameter of the ellipse, which passes through the center and is perpendicular to the major axis. It is also known as the minor diameter or the minor semi-axis.

Can the length segment of an ellipse change?

Yes, the length segment of an ellipse can change depending on the size and shape of the ellipse. If the major axis or minor axis is altered, the length segment will also change. Additionally, the length segment can change if the ellipse is rotated or translated in space.