Finding Laplace Transforms Sin(bt)

You should get b/(s^2+b^2) though.In summary, the task is to find L{sin(bt)} and the professor has given the hint to use integration by parts twice. The resulting integral becomes a cycle, however, by subtracting it from both sides, an expression for the integral that's useful is obtained. After evaluating the remaining equations and multiplying by the reciprocal, the final answer is b/(s^2 + b^2).
Lee49645

Homework Statement

Simply find L{Sin(bt)}

Homework Equations

My Professor gave us a hint "Use Integration by Parts TWICE"

The Attempt at a Solution

so i start with the usual limit as N -> infinity the integral of e^(-st)sin(bt)dt

Integrating by parts i get ( u = sin(bt) du = bcos(bt) dv = e^(-st) v = (-1/s)e^(-st))

sin(bt)(-1/s)e^(-st) - integral((-1/s)e^(-st) bcos(bt))

cleaning up the problem the integral becomes e^(-st)cos(bt)dt.

This is an endless cycle because after integrating i ended up with an extra uv set and integral e^(-st)sin(bt)dt with a b^2 outside.

it looks nothing like the known answer b/(s^s + b^s)

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you are asked to do the integration by parts twice, what do you notice the second time you do it? The last term is an integral of something very similar to the LHS. Take it away from both sides.

[tex]\int e^{ux} \cos x dx= e^{ux} \sin x - \int ue^{ux} \sin x dx [/tex]

[tex]\int e^{ux} \cos x dx= e^{ux} \sin x +ue^{ux} \cos x - \int u^2e^{ux} \cos x dx][/tex]

[tex]\int (1+u^2)e^{ux} \cos x dx = e^{ux} \sin x + ue^{ux} \cos x[/tex]

[tex]\int e^{ux} \cos x dx = \frac{e^{ux} \sin x + ue^{ux} \cos x}{(1+u^2)}[/tex]

Gregg said:
If you are asked to do the integration by parts twice, what do you notice the second time you do it? The last term is an integral of something very similar to the LHS. Take it away from both sides.

[tex]\int e^{ux} \cos x dx= e^{ux} \sin x +ue^{ux} \cos x - \int u^2e^{ux} \cos x dx][/tex]

[tex]\int e^{ux} \cos x dx = \frac{e^{ux} \sin x + ue^{ux} \cos x}{(1+u^2)}[/tex]

Considering that both u and u^2 are constants, why didn't you just pull them out of the integral? It makes it easier in my opinion...

Yeah u is a constant, but the point of what I've done is made it so there is no integral that carries on forever on the RHS because I got one that is similar enough to the LHS so that I could subtract it from both sides and have an expression for the integral that's useful. This is what I think you are supposed to do when you are asked to integrate by parts twice.

For you, u=-s and cos x = sin (bt)

Heh, I usually just evaluated the bounds as I went, instead of waiting till the end. I'd show you what I mean, except for two things:

1. I don't want to give the answer away...
2. You likely already get what I mean.

There are no bounds, it is an indefinite integral. I think you mean you would not wait til the end to substitute the values as I have described in my demonstration. I would not wait until the end either, I gave the example and the way which the OP can do this problem for themselves from the beginning and I didnt intend for them to substitute the variables in in the final stage. If you did this, in general, you will not get the correct answer.

On the contrary, there are bounds. The Laplace transform integrates from 0 to infinity.

I was just referring to the integration of e^x sin x or e^x cos x, and making the distinction between the bounds of the integral in which the example has none of, and the substition that the OP should make in order to do this for themselves which cannot be done at the end point.

Gregg said:

wow you're right, after looking up the formula for integration by parts I forgot that there was also an integral on the LHS. though my answer doesn't match yours, I actually got the answer i needed.

Instead of subtracting, I brought the matching integrals together on the LHS and factored them out leaving an [(s^2 + b^2) / s^2] (integral[blah])

then evaluating the remaining equations on the RHS from 0 to infinity, I was left with b/s^2

then in my last step I just multiplied both sides by the reciprocal leaving my final answer of

integral(e^(-st)sin(bt)dt) = (b/s^2) (s^2/(s^2 + b^2)) => b/(s^2 + b^2)

Great, you shouldn't get the same answer as me anyway I integrated cosine.

Related to Finding Laplace Transforms Sin(bt)

What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that is used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is a tool for solving differential equations and is particularly useful for dealing with systems that involve time.

Why is the Laplace transform important?

The Laplace transform is important because it allows us to transform a function from the time domain to the frequency domain, making it easier to analyze and solve problems. It also has many applications in areas such as control systems, signal processing, and circuit analysis.

How do you find the Laplace transform of sin(bt)?

To find the Laplace transform of sin(bt), you can use the definition of the Laplace transform, which involves integrating the function multiplied by e^(-st) from 0 to infinity. In the case of sin(bt), this integral can be solved using trigonometric identities and the fact that the Laplace transform of e^(at) is 1/(s-a).

What is the significance of the parameter b in sin(bt)?

The parameter b in sin(bt) represents the frequency of the function. It determines how quickly the function oscillates and therefore affects the shape and behavior of the function. In the Laplace transform, the parameter b is multiplied by t, which gives it units of frequency.

How can the Laplace transform of sin(bt) be applied in real-world situations?

The Laplace transform of sin(bt) has many applications in real-world situations. For example, it can be used to analyze the behavior of an oscillating system, such as a mass on a spring, or to study the response of an electrical circuit to a sinusoidal input. It can also be used in signal processing to separate different frequencies in a signal.