Finding Laplace transform of a Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation is about solving an initial value problem with the equation y''-6y'-7y=sin(9t) and the given initial values. The steps taken to solve the problem involve using the Laplace transform and simplifying with partial fractions. However, there may be an error in the solution as the homework page is not accepting it.
TheC0bbler

Homework Statement

Consider the following initial value problem:

y''-6y'-7y=sin(9t)

y(0)=-4, y'(0)=-3

I need to solve for L[y(t)]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here are the steps I've taken to solve it:

L(y'')-6L(y')-7L(y)=L(sin(9t))

s2L(y)-(-4)-(-3)-6(sL(y)-(-4))-7L(y)=9/(s2+81)

L(y)(s2-6s-7)-17=9/(s2+81)

L(y)(s2-6s-7)=9/(s2+81)+17

Y(s) =((9/(s2+81))+17)/(s2-6s-7)

I've simplified it with partial fractions as well but either way when I enter it into my homework page it says it's wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure if the work is correct but you have to inverse the Laplace transform at the to solve.

Recheck your Laplace transform of y''.

Related to Finding Laplace transform of a Differential Equation

What is the Laplace transform of a differential equation?

The Laplace transform of a differential equation is a mathematical tool used to convert a differential equation into an algebraic equation. It allows for easier analysis and solving of differential equations, especially for complex or non-homogeneous equations.

Why is the Laplace transform used for solving differential equations?

The Laplace transform is used because it simplifies the process of solving differential equations. It transforms a differential equation into an algebraic equation, which can be solved using standard algebraic techniques. This is especially useful for complex or non-homogeneous equations that are difficult to solve using traditional methods.

How do you find the Laplace transform of a differential equation?

To find the Laplace transform of a differential equation, you need to apply the Laplace transform operator to both sides of the equation. This will convert the differential equation into an algebraic equation. Then, you can solve for the transformed function using standard algebraic techniques.

What are the advantages of using the Laplace transform for solving differential equations?

There are several advantages to using the Laplace transform for solving differential equations. It simplifies the solving process, allows for the handling of complex or non-homogeneous equations, and can be applied to a wide range of differential equations. It also allows for the use of initial conditions, making it easier to find specific solutions.

When is the Laplace transform not suitable for solving differential equations?

The Laplace transform is not suitable for solving all types of differential equations. It is most effective for linear, time-invariant equations. Nonlinear or time-varying equations may not have a unique Laplace transform, making it difficult to solve using this method. Additionally, the Laplace transform may not be suitable for solving differential equations with discontinuities or singularities.