Finding inverse when function conatains absolute value

In summary: You will see that they are inverses of each other. But with the correct sign, they are not the same function.
Persimmon

Homework Statement

Given the function f(x) = (abs(x))*x +6, find f^-1(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for x≥ 0, f(x) = x^2 + 6
y=x^2 +6
x = √(y-6) for y≥6
→ f^-1(x) = √(x-6) for x≥6

for x< 0, f(x) = -x^2 + 6
y= -x^2 +6
x = √(6-y) for y<6
→ f^-1(x) = √(6-x) for x<6

But the correct answer is
f^-1(x) = ±√(x-6) with the domain and range as all real numbers.
How do I get the inverse function to not be piecewise?
Sorry about the lack of proper equations, I don't know how to use latex.

Physics news on Phys.org
have to restrict its not a 1 to 1

Could you please elaborate? How is the function not one to one? f(x) = (abs(x))*x +6 results in a graph that essentially looks like a cubic function due to the absolute value sign.

alright. sorry, the way it was written caused me to jump the gun.
if you just solve it without the restrictions on x that's what you get.
but other than that I am not sure. will have to wait on someone smarter.

Persimmon said:

Homework Statement

Given the function f(x) = (abs(x))*x +6, find f^-1(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for x≥ 0, f(x) = x^2 + 6
y=x^2 +6
x = √(y-6) for y≥6
→ f^-1(x) = √(x-6) for x≥6

for x< 0, f(x) = -x^2 + 6
y= -x^2 +6
x = √(6-y) for y<6
→ f^-1(x) = √(6-x) for x<6

You should have ##x =\pm\sqrt{6-y}## and you need to choose the - sign. So you would have
##f^{-1}(x) = -\sqrt{6-x},~x<6##.

But the correct answer is
f^-1(x) = ±√(x-6) with the domain and range as all real numbers.
How do I get the inverse function to not be piecewise?
Sorry about the lack of proper equations, I don't know how to use latex.

Their "correct answer" is wrong. Your two piece answer is correct once you fix that minus sign.

Yes, of course that makess sense regarding the minus sign. Oops. The reason why I specified that particular answer, ie ± √(x-6) is because that is what WolframAlpha gives as the result to the inverse of the original function. I can't think of how to arrive to that result.

It's confusing me, because that's the book answer and the wolfram answer! There must be some arithmetic trick.

If you are confused, draw a graph of your original ##f(x)## and your ##f^{-1}(x)## on the same picture. If your inverse is the reflection of the original in the ##45^\circ## line, yours is correct. That's all there is to it.

What's interesting about that? Neither is a complete and correct picture of what I suggested in post #9. Can't you just do it by hand picking a few nice numbers?

I guess if youre just plugging numbers in for y and solving for x with both -(6-x)^1/2 and (x-6)^1/2
you get the same x value.
nevermind that. I keep leaving out stupid details.
why are wolfram and the book both wrong? is there something else to consider?

Last edited:
462chevelle said:
I guess if youre just plugging numbers in for y and solving for x with both -(6-x)^1/2 and (x-6)^1/2
you get the same x value.
nevermind that. I keep leaving out stupid details.
why are wolfram and the book both wrong? is there something else to consider?

They are wrong because they are wrong, what else is there to say. In post #2 you described the graph of ##f(x)##. In post #5 I showed you a sign correction so you have ##f^{-1}(x)##. As I said on post #9, graph them both on the same graph. Do it by hand if you can't make Wolfram behave with two piece functions.

Likes 1 person

Related to Finding inverse when function conatains absolute value

1. What is an absolute value function?

An absolute value function is a mathematical function that returns the positive magnitude of a given number. It is represented by two vertical bars surrounding the input value, and it is often used to express distance or magnitude.

2. How do you find the inverse of a function containing absolute value?

To find the inverse of a function containing absolute value, you need to first isolate the absolute value expression and then apply the inverse operations in the opposite order. For example, if the function is f(x) = |x + 2|, you would first isolate the absolute value by subtracting 2 from both sides, giving you f(x) - 2 = |x|. Then, you would apply the inverse of the absolute value function, which is to split the equation into two cases: x = f(x) when f(x) is positive, and x = -f(x) when f(x) is negative.

3. Can a function containing absolute value have more than one inverse?

No, a function containing absolute value can only have one inverse. This is because the absolute value function itself is not a one-to-one function, meaning that multiple input values can result in the same output. However, when we restrict the domain of the absolute value function, we can create a one-to-one relationship and therefore have a unique inverse.

4. Is the inverse of a function containing absolute value also a function?

Yes, the inverse of a function containing absolute value is also a function. This is because the inverse operation of an absolute value function results in a piecewise function, where each piece is a function. Therefore, the inverse of a function containing absolute value is also a function.

5. Can the inverse of a function containing absolute value be written as a single equation?

No, the inverse of a function containing absolute value cannot be written as a single equation. As mentioned before, the inverse of an absolute value function results in a piecewise function, which cannot be written as a single equation. Each piece of the inverse function must be written separately, depending on the domain restriction.