Finding inverse relationship multivarible

Then, equate those derivatives to the given equations to find the inverse relationship between r and theta. Finally, use the inverse relationship to find the value of f(x) using the given equation atan = 1/(1+x^2). In summary, the question involves rearranging the given equations to find the inverse relationship between r and theta, and then using that relationship to find the value of f(x).
orangesun

Homework Statement

consider z = f(x,y) where x= r cos [tex]\theta[/tex] and y = r sin [tex]\theta[/tex]

by reartranging the question, obtain the inverse relationship r(x,y) and [tex]\theta[/tex] (x,y) and show that:
[tex]\delta[/tex]r / [tex]\delta[/tex]x = cos [tex]\theta[/tex],
[tex]\delta[/tex]r / [tex]\delta[/tex]y = sin [tex]\theta[/tex]
[tex]\delta\theta[/tex] / [tex]\delta[/tex]x = -1/r sin[tex]\theta[/tex]
[tex]\delta\theta[/tex] / [tex]\delta[/tex]y = 1/r cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to begin with this question really, but I know eventually I have to equate the two ratios together to make tan.
and come to the point where f(x) = atan = 1/(1+x^2)

any help will be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't think the question really uses f just yet...

i would start by finding the equation of x and y in terms of theta and r, and then differentiate

Related to Finding inverse relationship multivarible

1. What is an inverse relationship in multivariable data?

An inverse relationship in multivariable data refers to a situation where two variables have a negative correlation, meaning that as one variable increases, the other variable decreases. This can also be described as an indirect relationship between the two variables.

2. How do you identify an inverse relationship in multivariable data?

To identify an inverse relationship in multivariable data, you can create a scatter plot with both variables plotted on the x and y axes. If the points on the plot form a downward sloping line, then there is likely an inverse relationship between the two variables.

3. What is the purpose of finding inverse relationships in multivariable data?

The purpose of finding inverse relationships in multivariable data is to understand the relationship between two variables and how they affect each other. This can help in making predictions and identifying patterns in the data.

4. How do you calculate the inverse relationship between two variables?

The inverse relationship between two variables can be calculated by finding the slope of the line of best fit on a scatter plot. The slope will be negative if there is an inverse relationship. Additionally, you can calculate the correlation coefficient, which will also be negative for an inverse relationship.

5. Can an inverse relationship exist in multivariable data if there is no correlation between the variables?

Yes, it is possible for an inverse relationship to exist in multivariable data even if there is no correlation between the variables. This can happen if there is a third variable that is influencing the relationship between the two variables being studied.