Finding intervals of a 3 degree function?

Write it as a product:$$(x-x1)(x-x2)(x-x3) = ax^3+bx^2+cx+d$$In summary, the conversation discusses finding the apex, low point, and monotonic properties of functions. The abc-formula is used to find intervals, with an example provided. It is mentioned that for a 3 degree function, there can be a maximum of 4 intervals. The best approach to find all intervals is discussed, and the conversation ends with a mention of a useful template for homework exercises and a
KevinFr
The question says find apex, low point and the monotonic properties of the functions. a) b) c)...

To find intervals, I use the abc-formula. Example:

f(x) = 3x^3 - 3x
d/dx * f(x) = 3 * 3x^2 - 3, here a=3*3, b= -3 and c=0 (because there is none)

x1 = ( -b + sqrt(b^2 + 4*ac) ) / 2a
x2 = ( -b - sqrt(b^2 + 4*ac) ) / 2a

So from this I get 3 intervals:

[-infinity, x1], [x1, x2], [x2, +infinity]. Out of these intervals I can find out where graph rises and falls, in a 2 degree function.

In a 3 degree function there should be 4 intervals, correct? What would be the best approach to find all of them? I'm sorry if it's a stupid question, but I'm really struggling with this...

In the .pdf file you can see how I find the intervals (written as intervaller) and if the graph rises or lowers (written as stigning). Avoid the text as it's written in Norwegian.

Attachments

• lekse2,7.70.pdf
    538.5 KB · Views: 231
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Kevin, :welcome:

For a 3 degree function you can find a maximum of 4 intervals: e.g. ##f(x) =x^3## doesn't have 4.
You appear to be solving ##{df\over dx} = 0## and find something you don't seem to check ?
Something is going wrong there...

I am referring to your example ##f(x) = x^3 - 3x##

For homework exercises, we have an excellent template that would be very helpful here! It goes like:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A further comment: I should think that you are supposed to be able to decompose the f(x) from the example and the f(x) from 7.70 in factors easily. Both can be written in the form of (x-a)(x-b)(x-c) c.q. (x-a)(x-b). If not, practice !

Last edited:
Likes KevinFr
Looking at your pdf:
you have ##f(x) = -x^2+4x+3## and differentiate: ##f'(x) = -2x+4+0 ##. ##f'(x) = 0 ## is not an equation to tackle with the abc formula. (Is that what one calls a golden hammer for you ? ) ##\quad 4-2x = 0 \Rightarrow x = 2 ## and that's it. To see if it's a minimum or a maximun (if you haven't seen that already from the ##-x^2\ ##) : ##\quad f''(2) = -2 < 0 ## so a maximum.

The case ##f(x) = 0 ## can be tackled with the abc formula but it is much easier to look 'through' and write ##f(x) = 0 \Leftrightarrow x^2-4x+3 = 0 ##. To write this as $$(x-a)(x-b) = x^2 - (a+b) x + ab$$ we are searching for two numbers a and b that add up to 4 and their product is 3. How hard can it be ?

Another way to write ##ax^2 + bx + c## as a product is indeed using the abc formula. Do you know where it comes from ?

Likes KevinFr
BvU said:
The case f(x)=0f(x)=0f(x) = 0 can be tackled with the abc formula but it is much easier to look 'through' and write f(x)=0⇔x2−4x+3=0f(x)=0⇔x2−4x+3=0f(x) = 0 \Leftrightarrow x^2-4x+3 = 0 . To write this as
(x−a)(x−b)=x2−(a+b)x+ab​

Aaah. Thank you for the explanation! That cleared it up for me :D

Good. I take it you came to the right answers then.

PS:
Knowing how to derive the abc thingy is useful throughout a career ...

Likes KevinFr

Related to Finding intervals of a 3 degree function?

What is a 3 degree function?

A 3 degree function is a mathematical expression that includes a variable raised to the power of 3, also known as a cubic function. It can be represented in the form f(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants.

How do you find the intervals of a 3 degree function?

To find the intervals of a 3 degree function, you need to identify the critical points, which are the points where the function changes direction. These can be found by setting the derivative of the function equal to zero and solving for x. The intervals are then determined by analyzing the sign of the function in between these critical points.

Why is it important to find the intervals of a 3 degree function?

Finding the intervals of a 3 degree function is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the function and identify any potential maximum or minimum points. This information is useful in many applications, such as optimization problems in engineering and economics.

What is the difference between open and closed intervals in a 3 degree function?

In a 3 degree function, an open interval does not include the endpoints, while a closed interval includes both endpoints. For example, an open interval could be (-2, 4), while a closed interval could be [-2, 4]. This distinction is important when determining the behavior of the function at the endpoints.

Can a 3 degree function have more than one interval?

Yes, a 3 degree function can have multiple intervals. This is because the function can change direction multiple times, creating multiple intervals with different behaviors. These intervals can be determined by analyzing the critical points of the function.