Finding image location with concave mirror

In summary, the problem involves a small object placed 32.0cm in front of a concave mirror with a radius of curvature of 40.9cm. The focal length needs to be found using the formula f=1/2R, and then the equation 1/do + 1/di = 2/R can be used to find the distance of the image from the mirror.
physiquephys

Homework Statement

A small object is located 32.0cm in front of a concave mirror with a radius of curvature of 40.9cm.
Where will the image be formed?

Homework Equations

tan(θ)=-h/di
f=1/2R?

The Attempt at a Solution

Haven't been able to solve for theta. I'm not sure what equation to use, but I'm guessing that the radius is important. Do I need to find the focal length?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

Yes, you need to find the focal length first. And, your textbook should have a formula that relates focal length to the positions of the object and image, that will be helpful here.

you do need to know the focal length. You have to be careful with equations. focal length =R/2 not...1/2R...do you see what I mean/

Ohhhh, I see. I use 1/do + 1/di = 2/R (which is the focal point, & the reason the difference is indicated). Thank you both!

Yes, that's the idea. You're welcome!

Related to Finding image location with concave mirror

1. How does a concave mirror help in finding the location of an image?

A concave mirror is a curved mirror with the reflective surface on the inside. When an object is placed in front of the mirror, the light rays from the object reflect off the mirror and converge at a specific point called the focal point. By measuring the distance between the object and the mirror, and the distance between the mirror and the focal point, the location of the image can be determined.

2. What factors affect the location of the image formed by a concave mirror?

The location of the image formed by a concave mirror is affected by the distance between the object and the mirror, the curvature of the mirror, and the size of the object. The focal length of the mirror also plays a crucial role in determining the location of the image.

3. Is the location of the image always the same for a concave mirror?

No, the location of the image formed by a concave mirror can vary depending on the position of the object in relation to the mirror. As the object moves closer to or farther from the mirror, the location of the image will also change.

4. How can I use a concave mirror to create a magnified image?

To create a magnified image with a concave mirror, the object must be placed between the focal point and the mirror. This will result in an enlarged and upright image being formed behind the mirror. The size of the magnified image can be further increased by moving the object closer to the mirror.

5. Can a concave mirror form an inverted image?

Yes, a concave mirror can form both upright and inverted images. When the object is placed beyond the focal point, the image formed will be inverted, while an upright image will be formed when the object is placed between the focal point and the mirror.