Mirroring using a concave mirror

In summary, to construct the image of an object mirrored in a concave mirror, two rays must be drawn from the object using the following rules: rays parallel to the optic axis will pass through the focus when reflected, and rays passing through the focus will be reflected parallel to the optic axis. The intersection of these two rays will determine the position of the image.
BadatPhysicsguy

Homework Statement

mCzZXfT.png

An object is mirrored in a concave mirror. Construct the image of the object using two rays from the object. (draw in the picture)

Homework Equations

None needed?

The Attempt at a Solution

So the upward arrow is the object, f is the focal point I assume. I am to draw two rays from the arrow and show how the image is constructed. From what I've read, the image should be inside the mirror, but at the same time a focal point is shown? I don't even know where to begin at this point.

Is this a correct assumption?
eL972Sv.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw two rays from the top of the arrow, using the rules that you should know:

Rays parallel to the optic axis, will pass through the focus when reflected.

Rays passing through the foucs will be reflected parallel to the optic axis.

Where these rays intersect will be the position of the arrow head of the image.

Related to Mirroring using a concave mirror

1. How does mirroring work using a concave mirror?

When an object is placed in front of a concave mirror, the light rays from the object reflect off the surface of the mirror and converge at a point called the focal point. This creates an inverted and magnified image of the object.

2. What is the difference between a concave and convex mirror for mirroring?

A concave mirror is curved inward, while a convex mirror is curved outward. This results in different types of reflections. A concave mirror creates an inverted and magnified image, while a convex mirror creates an upright and diminished image.

3. How can I calculate the focal length of a concave mirror?

The focal length of a concave mirror can be calculated using the formula f = R/2, where f is the focal length and R is the radius of curvature of the mirror.

4. Can a concave mirror produce a real image?

Yes, a concave mirror can produce a real image when the object is placed between the focal point and the mirror. In this case, the image will be inverted and magnified.

5. What is the practical application of mirroring using a concave mirror?

Concave mirrors are used in many applications, such as telescopes, headlights, and makeup mirrors. They are also used in scientific experiments to create and study real and virtual images.