Finding h for a Cylinder on a Track

In summary, the problem is asking for the height h at which a cylinder of radius rc can be placed above a loop of radius rl so that it can successfully make it around the loop without slipping. Using the conservation of energy equation, the critical velocity is found to be v=\sqrt{grl}, which can be used to eliminate terms in the original equation. The resulting equation for h is h = rl/2 + rc^2/4rl + 2rl.
clarineterr

Homework Statement

A cyllinder of radius rc starts a height h above a loop the loop on a track. If the radius of the loop is rl, how high does h need to be. The cyllinder does not slip. Express the answer in terms of the radius of the loop.

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy

The Attempt at a Solution

The cyllinder has potential energy mgh at the beginning and 2mgrl at the top of the loop. It also has kinetic energy 1/2mv^2 +1/2Iw^2 where v=[tex]\sqrt{rg}[/tex] is the critical velocity. The moment of inertia is I = 1/2mrc^2. I can't figure out how to get rid of rc in the answer.

I get h = rl/2 + rc^2/4rl + 2rl

Physics news on Phys.org
clarineterr said:
how high does h need to be.

To do what, exactly? Can you clarify what the problem is asking, and what it means when it says that the cylinder starts at height h "above" the loop?

Hi clarineterr! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
clarineterr said:
The cyllinder has potential energy mgh at the beginning and 2mgrl at the top of the loop. It also has kinetic energy 1/2mv^2 +1/2Iw^2 where v=[tex]\sqrt{rg}[/tex] is the critical velocity. The moment of inertia is I = 1/2mrc^2. I can't figure out how to get rid of rc in the answer.

I get h = rl/2 + rc^2/4rl + 2rl

I can't see how you got that :confused:

can you give us some detail?

(and it isn't 2mgrl at the top … don't you need to subtract some rc?)

Im sorry. How high must h be for the cyllinder to be able to go around the loop.

At the top of the loop the only centripetal force is gravity if the cyllinder just makes it around the loop so v=[tex]\sqrt{grl}[/tex]

then I used mgh = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iw^2 + 2mgrl and if you v/r for w, the moment of inertia and the velocity above mg cancels out.

Related to Finding h for a Cylinder on a Track

1. How do I find the value of h for a cylinder on a track?

To find the value of h for a cylinder on a track, you will need to use the formula h = r - (d/2), where r is the radius of the cylinder and d is the diameter of the track. This will give you the height of the cylinder on the track.

2. What is the significance of finding h for a cylinder on a track?

Finding the value of h for a cylinder on a track is important because it helps determine the clearance needed for the cylinder to move smoothly along the track without hitting any obstacles. It also helps in designing and positioning the track for optimal performance.

3. Can the value of h change for a cylinder on a track?

Yes, the value of h can change for a cylinder on a track depending on the size and shape of the cylinder, as well as the diameter of the track. It is important to recalculate the value of h whenever any of these factors change.

4. What happens if the value of h is too small for a cylinder on a track?

If the value of h is too small, it means that the cylinder may not have enough clearance to move along the track without hitting any obstacles. This can cause the cylinder to get stuck or damaged, leading to potential malfunctions or accidents.

5. How can I verify the accuracy of the calculated value of h for a cylinder on a track?

You can verify the accuracy of the calculated value of h by physically measuring the height of the cylinder on the track and comparing it to the calculated value. Additionally, performing multiple calculations with different inputs and comparing the results can also help ensure the accuracy of the value of h.