Speed of block as cylinder reaches bottom of circular track.

In summary: Yes, there is a conservation of momentum equation that must be applied. I'm not entirely sure how you did it, but you found the velocity of the block at the bottom. But you said that there is a discrepancy between the answer and the options that I listed. Can you tell me more about what might be going on?
takando12

Homework Statement

A block of mass M=2kg with a semicircular track of radius R=1.1m rests on a horizontal frictionless surface.A uniform cylinder of radius r=10cm and mass m=1kg is released from rest from the top most point .The cylinder slips on the semicircular frictionless track.The speed of the block when the cylinder reaches the bottom of the track is:(g=10m/s).
A)√10/3 B)√4/3 C)√5/2 D)√10.

Homework Equations

conservation of momentum.
vcentre of mass= v1m1 + v2m2/m1 +m2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not very sure how to solve it. I tried to calculate the speed of the cylinder at the bottom.
Consider the the bottom of the semicircular track to be h m above the surface. v1=0m/s
mg(h+1.1) -mgh= 1/2m(v22-v12)
2*10*1.1=v22.
v2=√22 m/s.
then using conservation of momentum, I tried to find the velocity of the block but the answer doesn't match.
How do I solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
takando12 said:
mg(h+1.1) -mgh= 1/2m(v22-v12)
Can you explain your KE subexpression: 1/2m(v22-v12) ?

gneill said:
Can you explain your KE subexpression: 1/2m(v22-v12) ?
Sir,
I thought the change in the potential energy as it goes from the top to the bottom of the track will become the kinetic energy. Here v1=0m/s as it started from rest. Please do correct me if I am wrong.

And please do forgive me but the heading of the question is wrong. It is not the speed of the cylinder when it reaches the bottom , but the speed of the track when the cylinder reaches the bottom.

takando12 said:
I thought the change in the potential energy as it goes from the top to the bottom of the track will become the kinetic energy. Here v1=0m/s as it started from rest. Please do correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, energy conservation is applicable. What I'm wondering about is how you account for the fact that the KE will be split between the cylinder and block... there won't be just one velocity involved, and the initial velocity won't be one of them...
takando12 said:
And please do forgive me but the heading of the question is wrong. It is not the speed of the cylinder when it reaches the bottom , but the speed of the track when the cylinder reaches the bottom.
I've altered the title accordingly.

gneill said:
Yes, energy conservation is applicable. What I'm wondering about is how you account for the fact that the KE will be split between the cylinder and block... there won't be just one velocity involved, and the initial velocity won't be one of them...

I've altered the title accordingly.
Oh so the kinetic energy splits between the block and the cylinder? I have no idea how to proceed.
The only other formula we were taught is the shift in the centre of mass position. Here the shift will be zero as no external force is applied. But even if we do find the displacement of the centre of mass of the block , we don't have time to solve for speed.

takando12 said:
Oh so the kinetic energy splits between the block and the cylinder? I have no idea how to proceed.
The only other formula we were taught is the shift in the centre of mass position. Here the shift will be zero as no external force is applied. But even if we do find the displacement of the centre of mass of the block , we don't have time to solve for speed.
The constancy of the X coordinate of the mass centre is directly related to another conservation law. What other conservation laws do you know that might be relevant?

even after applying conservation of momentum and energy, answer is not matching with any of the options...what to do??

COM said:
even after applying conservation of momentum and energy, answer is not matching with any of the options...what to do??
can relative velocity come into picture?

i wonder what can be the use of the cylinder's radius?

Welcome to PF!
COM said:
What is the change in height of the cylinder from the point of release to the when the cylinder is at the bottom of the track?

Last edited:
COM said:
Is there a drawing? The picture I have in mind is that the release point for the cylinder is with its center level with the top surface of the block. How much below that position can the cylinder reach?

Now, you say that you have applied conservation of momentum. How have you applied it? What equation can you write to express it?

Related to Speed of block as cylinder reaches bottom of circular track.

1. What is the speed of the block as it reaches the bottom of the circular track?

The speed of the block as it reaches the bottom of the circular track can be calculated using the equation v = √(rg), where v is the speed, r is the radius of the circular track, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This assumes that there is no friction or other external forces acting on the block.

2. Does the mass of the block affect its speed as it reaches the bottom of the circular track?

No, the mass of the block does not affect its speed as it reaches the bottom of the circular track. The speed is solely determined by the radius of the track and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does the angle of the circular track affect the speed of the block?

The angle of the circular track does not affect the speed of the block as it reaches the bottom. As long as the radius of the track and the acceleration due to gravity remain constant, the speed will also remain constant.

4. What is the relationship between the speed of the block and the height of the circular track?

The speed of the block is directly proportional to the height of the circular track. This means that as the height of the track increases, the speed of the block will also increase.

5. How does friction affect the speed of the block as it reaches the bottom of the circular track?

Friction can have a significant impact on the speed of the block as it reaches the bottom of the circular track. If there is friction present, it will slow down the block and decrease its speed. The amount of friction will depend on the surface of the track and the materials of the block.