Finding Global Extrema of f(x,y,z) on Set M

Even I was incorrect in my first post. I really should have writtenM = M' intersect {(x,y,z)|x>=1,y>=1,z>=1}That is, the two sets have to be equal on all three coordinates. And for any choice of a that isn't going to happen.Sorry. I think I was just confused by the notation. My apologies. I hope you can understand my mistake.In summary, the conversation discussed finding global extremes of a function on a set and proving its compactness. The set was defined as a continuous image of a closed set and the need to show it is closed and bounded was emphasized. However, there was a misunderstanding about the closedness of the set and
twoflower
Hi,

I want to find global extremes of function

[tex]
f(x,y,z) = xy^{2}y^3
[/tex]

on the set

[tex]
M = \left\{[x,y,z] \in \mathbb{R}^{3}, x+2y+4z = a, x,y,z > 0\right\}
[/tex]

I need to show that this is compact. Because I'm in [itex]\mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex] it is sufficient to show it is closed and bounded. Closeness (is this the right noun?) is obvious. How to show it is bounded as well? Is it trivial, ie. may I just say that it is some bounded plane or how?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If (x, y, z) is in M, then x, y, z > 0, so we must have that 0 < x < a (and similarly for y and z). This implies that M is bounded.

(And if you have to ask, it's clearly not trivial. ;))

Last edited:
I'm not sure that closedness is obvious since you have a strictly greater then zero condition, and strictly greater than something tends to make things open if you aren't careful. Since boundedness is genuinely trivial, and you didn't spot it, I think you shuold check closure.

Consider the easier to typeset example of x+y=1, x,y>0

the points (0,1) (and (1,0)) satisfy the condition, and are not in the set, yet the sequence (1/n,1-1/n) is in the set and tends to (0,1)...

matt grime said:
I'm not sure that closedness is obvious since you have a strictly greater then zero condition, and strictly greater than something tends to make things open if you aren't careful. Since boundedness is genuinely trivial, and you didn't spot it, I think you shuold check closure.

Consider the easier to typeset example of x+y=1, x,y>0

the points (0,1) (and (1,0)) satisfy the condition, and are not in the set, yet the sequence (1/n,1-1/n) is in the set and tends to (0,1)...

Well, I thought that closedness is obvious because of this:

[itex]M[/itex] is continuous image of closed set [itex]\left\{0\right\}[/itex] and thus is also closed.

Muzza said:
If (x, y, z) is in M, then x, y, z > 0, so we must have that 0 < x < a (and similarly for y and z). This implies that M is bounded.

(And if you have to ask, it's clearly not trivial. ;))

Thank you Muzza, that's...very nice :)

And one more question to this matter: when I'm given such [itex]M[/itex] which is not bounded, how to do that? I recall unclearly our professor telling us something about this case...could it be something like "Close the set in something larger (eg. some cube), find extremes on it and then...?" Hm, I remember less than I thought :(

twoflower said:
Well, I thought that closedness is obvious because of this:
[itex]M[/itex] is continuous image of closed set [itex]\left\{0\right\}[/itex] and thus is also closed.

It isn't obvious, and what you've written is indeed false. Nothing requires the image of a closed set to be closed. The inverse image of a closed set is closed, under a continuous function, not that that matters, since I cannot see anything that is the image or inverse image of a closed set. Did you not understand the counter example which showed your 'obvious' reasoning to be false?

matt grime said:
It isn't obvious, and what you've written is indeed false. Nothing requires the image of a closed set to be closed. The inverse image of a closed set is closed, under a continuous function, not that that matters, since I cannot see anything that is the image or inverse image of a closed set. Did you not understand the counter example which showed your 'obvious' reasoning to be false?

More precisely, I'm using this:

[tex]
f: P \rightarrow Q\mbox{ .Then these statements are equivalent:}
[/tex]

[tex]
\mbox{(i) f is continuous on P}
[/tex]

[tex]
\mbox{(ii) }f^{-1}(F)\mbox{ is closed for each closed F \subset Q}
[/tex]

In my case, let

[tex]
G := x + 2y + 4z - a
[/tex]

Then

[tex]
\left\{0\right\}\mbox{ is closed and }G = f^{-1}\left\{0\right\}\mbox{ and thus G is also closed}
[/tex]

Last edited:
But your set is not the image of a closed set under the inverse of a continuous function. It is most definitely not the inverse image of the zero set under that function, eg the element (a,-2,1) is in the inverse image set but not in the set you want since last time I checked -2 is a negative number. So why have you for the second time ignored the counter example I gave you? And just reiterated the same incorrect argument?

Last edited:
matt grime said:
But your set is not the image of a closed set under the inverse of a continuous function. It is most definitely not the inverse image of the zero set under that function, eg the element (a,-2,1) is in the inverse image set but not in the set you want since last time I checked -2 is a negative number. So why have you for the second time ignored the counter example I gave you? And just reiterated the same incorrect arguement?

Sorry matt. Of course I wrote it wrongly...Let me try it again, then your because your counterexample referred to my misinterpreting of the theorem.

[tex]
g(x,y,z) := x + 2y + 4z - a
[/tex]

Then

[tex]
M = \left\{[x,y,z] \in \mathbb{R}^3, g(x,y,z) = 0\right\}
[/tex]

And because [itex]g[/itex] is continuous, [itex]\left\{0\right\}[/itex] is closed and

[tex]
M = g^{-1}\left\{0\right\}
[/tex]

Then [itex]M[/itex] is also closed.

Hope this is finally correct, I also found it in the examples our professor did for us.

Last edited:
So? You are restricting to the subset of the inverse image such that all entries are strictly positive. This is not a closed subset as I've said, ooh, what 4 or 5 times now, the theorem is completely irrelevant. The set you said was obviously closed but not obviously bounded is in fact obviously bounded but not actually closed.

Please, can you tell me, in which sense I don't meet the requirements of that theorem?

[itex]\left\{0\right\}[/itex] is always closed and I can't see any other troubles using that theorem.

twoflower said:
[tex]
M' = \left\{[x,y,z] \in \mathbb{R}^3, g(x,y,z) = 0\right\}
[/tex]

This set M' (note I've renamed it) is closed. However this is not the same as the M from your first post. M = M' intersect {(x,y,z)|x,y,z>0}

Do you have a picture in your head of what this looks like? It's not complicated. What if you change the >0 condition to >=0?

shmoe said:
This set M' (note I've renamed it) is closed. However this is not the same as the M from your first post. M = M' intersect {(x,y,z)|x,y,z>0}
Do you have a picture in your head of what this looks like? It's not complicated. What if you change the >0 condition to >=0?

I suspect it's because of the strict inequality and thus it is not closed because I can always make a ball around some point around zero?

twoflower said:
I suspect it's because of the strict inequality and thus it is not closed because I can always make a ball around some point around zero?

What does "a ball around some point around zero" mean?

Do you understand now why your theorem doesn't apply?

Do you know what this set M looks like?

It's not closed because it is not closed, and as demonstration for the example x+y=1, x,y>0 I showed a sequence in the set that converged to something not in the set. And that was in post 3.

shmoe said:
What does "a ball around some point around zero" mean?
Do you understand now why your theorem doesn't apply?
Do you know what this set M looks like?

I don't know whether I'm expressing it correctly in English, but we had defined open set as the set in which around every point there exists ball (or sphere is the right word?) which whole belongs to the set.

And because M satisfies it, it won't be closed (I know OPEN and NOT CLOSED is not equivalent, but I think here it applies).

matt grime said:
It's not closed because it is not closed, and as demonstration for the example x+y=1, x,y>0 I showed a sequence in the set that converged to something not in the set. And that was in post 3.

I'm stupid. Of course I've read your counterexample, but I didn't consider it to be the PROOF of the set not being closed, but rather some hint to me to figure it out. Anyway, now I found the theorem about characterization of closed sets which poses right this condition. Sorry for bothering you, you helped me much.

Related to Finding Global Extrema of f(x,y,z) on Set M

1. How do you define global extrema in multivariate functions?

Global extrema in multivariate functions refer to the maximum and minimum points of a function that occur over the entire domain of the function, rather than just a local region.

2. What is the significance of finding the global extrema of a function?

Finding the global extrema of a function allows us to identify the most extreme values of the function, which can provide important insights into the behavior and characteristics of the function. It also helps in solving optimization problems.

3. What is the process for finding global extrema of a function on a given set?

The process for finding global extrema of a function on a given set involves first identifying the critical points of the function, which are the points where the partial derivatives of the function are equal to zero. Then, evaluating the function at these critical points as well as at the boundaries of the set to determine the global extrema.

4. How do you determine if a critical point is a local extremum or a global extremum?

A critical point can be classified as a local extremum or a global extremum by evaluating the function at nearby points. If the function is larger or smaller at the critical point compared to the nearby points, then it is a local extremum. If the function is larger or smaller at the critical point compared to the entire domain of the function, then it is a global extremum.

5. Can a function have multiple global extrema?

Yes, a function can have multiple global extrema if it has a complex and varied behavior over its entire domain. In such cases, there can be multiple points where the function reaches its maximum or minimum value, and all of these points would be considered as global extrema.