Finding g(t) for Characteristic Polynomial f(t) = t2 - 5t + 4 and Matrix A

In summary, in the first question, the characteristic polynomial of a 2x2 real matrix A is given as f(t) = t2 - 5t +4. The task is to find a real polynomial g(t) of degree 1 such that (g(A))^2 = A. The Cayley-Hamilton Theorem is used to find the inverse of A, which is then substituted into the equation to obtain a quadratic equation in A. By equating the coefficients, it is found that g(A) = aA + b, where a = +/- 1 and b = -/+ 2. In the second question, the same task is given for a 2x2 complex matrix A with A2 ≠
SpringPhysics

Homework Statement

Suppose A is a 2x2 real matrix with characteristic polynomial f(t) = t2 - 5t +4. Find a real polynomial g(t) of degree 1 such that (g(A))2 = A.

Suppose A is a 2x2 complex matrix with A2 ≠ O. Show that there is a complex polynomial g(t) of degree 1 such that (g(A))2 = A.

Homework Equations

Cayley-Hamilton Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that det A = 4 and from f(A) = 0, I found the inverse of A to be 1/4 * A(A-5).

I am completely stuck after this. I let A be a matrix of 4 variables a, b, c, and d, then tried to solve for the variables but ended up with really long and messy terms.

Can someone give me a lead as to what the g(t) has to do with f(t)?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that (g(A))^2 = A, and g is linear, so why don't you write g(A) = aA + b and see what happens.

I tried that too before but got nowhere so I thought it was irrelevant. I get simply a quadratic for A, where 0 = a2A2 + (2ab - 1)A + c2. Does this have to do with f(t) = t2 -5t + 4?

EDIT 1:
I equated the coefficients and found that a = +/- 1 and b = -/+ 2. So then I just substitute this back into the coefficients for g(t)?

EDIT 2:
All right, I got it now, thanks. =)

Is the second question similar to the first?

EDIT 3:
I tried to find the characteristic polynomial for A with a, b, c, d variable entries, then I isolated for A, used the (forgot name) method to get a quadratic equation. Is this correct?

EDIT 4:
Never mind, I think I solved it. I isolated for A (dividing both sides by a+ d is possible because from the determinant, we get that a + d =/= 0).

A = (1/(a+d)) A2 + (ad-bc)/(a+d)
A + eA = (1/(a+d)) A2 + eA + (ad-bc)/(a+d) , e =/= -1

Then, I isolated for A again, equated it to the square of a linear equation g(t) = mt + n, found m and n in terms for the 5 variables above, isolated for e in terms of the other 4 variables, and substituted it all into g(t). The only restriction is that ad - bc =/=, but the questions asks for any complex function.

Is this all right? Thanks.

Last edited:

Related to Finding g(t) for Characteristic Polynomial f(t) = t2 - 5t + 4 and Matrix A

1. What is a characteristic polynomial?

A characteristic polynomial is a polynomial function in linear algebra that is associated with a square matrix. It is used to find the eigenvalues of the matrix, which are essential in solving many problems in linear algebra.

2. How is a characteristic polynomial calculated?

A characteristic polynomial is calculated by taking the determinant of the matrix that is being evaluated, and then setting it equal to 0. The resulting polynomial is the characteristic polynomial.

3. What is the significance of characteristic polynomials?

Characteristic polynomials are significant because they help us find the eigenvalues of a matrix, which are important in many applications, such as solving systems of linear equations, diagonalizing matrices, and understanding the behavior of dynamical systems.

4. Can a matrix have more than one characteristic polynomial?

No, a matrix can only have one characteristic polynomial. This is because the characteristic polynomial is unique to a specific matrix, and it is used to find the eigenvalues of that matrix.

5. How are characteristic polynomials used in real-world applications?

Characteristic polynomials have many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to model and analyze systems with multiple variables, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.