Finding Frictional force from the magnetic equation Fb=BIL

In summary, the frictional force of a crossbar sliding at a constant velocity on two railings can be calculated using the formula Fb = BIL, where B is the magnetic field, I is the current, and L is the distance between the railings. Using the given values of 256 Ω for the crossbar, .35 m for the distance, 12 V for the voltage, and 1.2 T for the magnetic field, the calculated frictional force is 0.02 N. However, this is not the same as the given answer of 1.26 N, leaving room for possible error or missing information. Taking the counter-emf into account would further reduce the calculated frictional force, but
aldoftybg
1. Calculate the frictional force of a crossbar sliding at a constant velocity on two railings. Answer. 1.26 N

Given, Crossbar= 256 Ω
Distance (separation of railings)= .35 m
V (Setup connected to battery)= 12 V
B (Magnetic field)= 1.2 T

2. Fb= BIL
V=IR

3. The only thing that makes sense would be to do is divide (12 v/ 256Ω) to find I. And then substitute Fb = (1.2 T)(12v/256Ω)(.35 m). But the answer I get is .02 N. Nowhere near the given answer, anything I could be missing??

Physics news on Phys.org
I also computed 0.02N.

No point in taking the counter-emf into account, either. That would just further reduce the computed frictional force, plus we aren't given the velocity anyway.

Related to Finding Frictional force from the magnetic equation Fb=BIL

1. What is the magnetic equation Fb=BIL?

The magnetic equation Fb=BIL is a mathematical expression used to calculate the force (Fb) experienced by a charged particle moving through a magnetic field (B) with a velocity (v) and an electric current (I).

2. How is the magnetic equation derived?

The magnetic equation is derived from the Lorentz force law, which states that the force on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field is perpendicular to both the velocity of the particle and the magnetic field.

3. What does each variable in the magnetic equation represent?

The variable Fb represents the force experienced by the charged particle, B represents the magnetic field strength, I represents the electric current, and L represents the length of the conductor or the distance traveled by the charged particle.

4. Can the magnetic equation be used to find the frictional force between a magnet and a surface?

No, the magnetic equation is specifically used to calculate the force on a charged particle due to a magnetic field. To find the frictional force between a magnet and a surface, other equations and factors must be considered.

5. How can the magnetic equation be applied in real-world situations?

The magnetic equation has many practical applications, such as in the design of electromagnetic devices like motors and generators, the study of charged particle motion in particle accelerators, and the development of magnetic levitation technology. It is also used in the field of geophysics to understand the Earth's magnetic field and in medical imaging techniques like magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).