Find Magnetic Force: Electron & Proton

In summary, the question asks for the magnitude of the magnetic force on an electron and a proton with specific velocity components moving through a uniform magnetic field. The equations used were Fb=qVxB and q(VxBy-ByBx). The calculated answers for part A and B were 7.112e-14 and -7.112e-14 respectively, but the correct answer should have been the absolute value of these values.
Medtner

Homework Statement

An electron that has a velocity with x component 2.1 × 106 m/s and y component 3.1 × 106 m/s moves through a uniform magnetic field with x component 0.035 T and y component -0.16 T. (a) Find the magnitude of the magnetic force on the electron. (b) Repeat your calculation for a proton having the same velocity.

Homework Equations

Fb=qVxB
q(VxBy-ByBx)

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the work, got an answer for part A which is 7.112e-14
Did the exact same procedure for part B and arrived at -7.112e-14, but the homework website is telling me it's wrong?! Not sure what my error is...

Physics news on Phys.org
The question asks for the magnitude of the force.

*facepalm*

Silly me, I should read questions more carefully. Forgot to absolute value on both parts, only with a it work out by luck! Thanks.

OK, good.

Related to Find Magnetic Force: Electron & Proton

1. What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for the attraction and repulsion between objects with magnetic properties. It is caused by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons and protons.

2. How is magnetic force related to electrons and protons?

Electrons and protons are fundamental particles that have electric charge. When these particles move, either through their own motion or through an external force, they create a magnetic field and exert a magnetic force on other charged particles.

3. How do you find the magnetic force on an electron or proton?

The magnetic force on an electron or proton can be calculated using the formula F = qvB, where F is the magnetic force, q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

4. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic force on an electron or proton?

The strength of the magnetic force on an electron or proton depends on the charge of the particle, its velocity, and the strength of the magnetic field it is moving through. The direction of the force also depends on the direction of the particle's motion and the direction of the magnetic field.

5. How is magnetic force used in everyday life?

Magnetic force is used in a wide range of applications, such as electricity generation, motors and generators, magnetic levitation trains, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines in medical diagnostics. It is also used in everyday objects like magnets, speakers, and hard drives.