Finding Fixed Points in a System of Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding equilibrium points for a system of equations. The first equation results in a complex number, indicating that there are no equilibrium points for real numbers. The second equation yields the solutions y=0 and x=1, but the point (1,0) does not satisfy the equation cos(πx)=0 and therefore is not a true equilibrium point. The only equilibrium points for this system are (kπ/2, 0) where k is an odd integer.
roam

Homework Statement

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/9288/51927159.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I'm mostly stuck on this part because I keep getting a complex number:

3x+y = 0 so x=-y/3

Substituting this in the second equation:

[itex]\frac{y^2}{9} +1 = 0[/itex]

[itex]\therefore \ y = \sqrt{-9} \implies y = 3 i[/itex]

Now putting this back into x=-y/3 we will get x=-i. So the only equilibrium point is (-i, 3i)? :confused:(b) We can write the first equation yx-y as y(x-1) = 0. So the solutions here would be y=0 and x=1.

And if we set the second equation equal to 0: cos(πx)=0, the solution would be

[itex]x=\frac{k \pi}{2}[/itex]

Where k is any odd integer (since cosine is zero at points like -π/2, π/2, 3π/2, etc).

So the equilibrium points would be (kπ/2, 0) and (1, 0). Is this right? And could there be any more solutions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi roam! :smile:
roam said:
(a) isn't dy/dt obviously always positive? :wink:

(b) y = 0 with any x such that cos(πx) = 0

Assuming that x and y are real numbers, getting a complex result tells you that there are no equilibrium points.

Wouldn't that be wrong though? The problem asked for ALL equilibrium points and made no mention of restricting the domain to reals. So if I turned this in and said there ain't any, would my professor be justified in markin' it wrong? And sides, it's [itex]\pm 3i[/itex] right?

tiny-tim said:
hi roam! :smile:

(a) isn't dy/dt obviously always positive? :wink:

Hi tiny tim,

So do you mean I should pick the +ve side of ±3i, so the that the only equilibrium is at (-i, 3i)?

(b) y = 0 with any x such that cos(πx) = 0

What was wrong with what I did?

jackmell said:
Wouldn't that be wrong though? The problem asked for ALL equilibrium points and made no mention of restricting the domain to reals. So if I turned this in and said there ain't any, would my professor be justified in markin' it wrong? And sides, it's [itex]\pm 3i[/itex] right?

Yes, I think we are required to find all values, not just reals.

roam said:
So do you mean I should pick the +ve side of ±3i, so the that the only equilibrium is at (-i, 3i)?

i'm assuming x and y are both restricted to the reals

(i'd be very surprised if that's not true)

oops! nothing! :redface:

you got 'em all! :biggrin:

(but (1,0) is wrong … dy/dt = cosπ ≠ 0)

roam said:
Hi tiny tim,

Yes, I think we are required to find all values, not just reals.

Ok look. I think I just caused trouble with that. I'd bet you're just required to find the reals. I'm lucky the mods don't get on me for that but it does open up an interesting phenomenon: what exactly are complex equilibrium points? You see, doing the unexpected, being curious, asking questions, that's where real mathematics is created. :)

Last edited:
tiny-tim said:
oops! nothing! :redface:

you got 'em all! :biggrin:

(but (1,0) is wrong … dy/dt = cosπ ≠ 0)

But didn't we find from the first equation yx-y=y(x-1)=0 that (1,0) is a solution? Because this equation is zero at either x=1 and y=0. :confused:

So (kπ/2, 0) are the only solutions? What happens to the x=1 that I found from the other equation?

yes, (kπ/2, 0) are the only solutions (with k an odd number, as you said).

you found that (1,0) is a fixed point for x, but you need it to also be a fixed point for y. The equation to get a fixed point for y is cos(πx)=0 so does your point satisfy this?

Related to Finding Fixed Points in a System of Equations

What is an equilibrium point?

An equilibrium point is a state in a system where the forces or factors acting on the system are balanced, resulting in a stable state with no change in behavior or movement.

Why is finding equilibrium points important?

Finding equilibrium points is important because it allows us to understand the behavior and stability of a system. It can also help us make predictions and control the system to achieve a desired outcome.

How do you find equilibrium points?

To find equilibrium points, you need to set the rate of change (derivative) of the system's variables to zero and solve for the variables. This can be done analytically or numerically using mathematical models or computer simulations.

What factors can affect the equilibrium point of a system?

The equilibrium point of a system can be affected by various factors such as external forces, changes in parameters, and disturbances. These factors can cause the equilibrium point to shift or change over time.

Can a system have multiple equilibrium points?

Yes, a system can have multiple equilibrium points depending on its complexity and the number of variables involved. These equilibrium points can be stable, unstable, or neutral, and understanding their behavior is crucial in analyzing the system's dynamics.