Finding final velocity with variable acceleration due to air resistance

In summary, the cat jumps out of a window with a velocity of 52m/s and has a drag coefficient of .8. His final velocity will be around .
T. Haverford

Homework Statement

Hello! This is my first time posting here but I have been viewing these forums for help in my physics class for a while. Lately I have been stuck on one single problem that I haven’t been able to find any help with anywhere online. Any who, here is the problem: a cat jumps out of a 10m tall window with all its velocity in the X direction. He has a mass of 8.17kg, a drag coefficient of .8, and a cross sectional area of 600cm^2. What is his final velocity if you do NOT ignore air resistance?

Homework Equations

I determined, knowing the density of air to be 1.2 @ 20 C, that the cats terminal velocity would be around 52m/s. From here I solved for a drag or wind resistance constant, b, by taking the mass times gravity divided by terminal velocity (b=1.5). I also know that velocity at any time can be determined with the equation V=(mg)/b{1-e^[(-bt)/m]} where m is mass, g is gravity, b is the constant from above, and t is time. The problem is that I cannot find time with the variable acceleration due to gravity. My professor suggested using the concept of jerk but I haven’t been able to find any formulas that can help me out.

The Attempt at a Solution

(attempt included in relevant equations)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello on your first post to PF!

Maybe you could try using your velocity as a function of time to derive an expression for the position as a function of time. Since you know the final position of the cat, you might be able to determine the time the cat reaches that position.

Welcome to PF.

You need to start over. The first thing you need to do is focus on the drag force. The drag force has components in both the horizontal and vertical directions. The spatial direction of the drag force will be opposite to the spatial direction of the velocity vector. First express the magnitude of the drag force in terms of the magnitude of the velocity vector, which is the square root of the sum of the squares of the horizontal and vertical components. Then calculate the unit vector in the direction of the drag force. Multiply the unit vector by the magnitude of the drag force to express the force as a vector. Now you are finally ready to start doing your force balances in the horizontal and vertical directions. This should lead to two coupled differential equations for the derivatives of the horizontal and vertical components of velocity with respect to time.

Ah, yes. I missed that the cat jumps horizontally! Yikes. Good luck.

Hello! It's great to see you utilizing online resources for help with your physics class. Let's take a look at the problem you are stuck on.

Firstly, it's important to note that air resistance, or drag, is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion and depends on the velocity of the object. This means that the acceleration due to air resistance is not a constant, but rather a variable that changes as the object's velocity changes. In this case, the cat's velocity will decrease as it falls due to the increasing air resistance.

To solve for the cat's final velocity, we can use the equation you provided: V=(mg)/b{1-e^[(-bt)/m]}. However, instead of trying to find the time, we can use the concept of terminal velocity. Terminal velocity is the maximum velocity an object can reach when the drag force equals the force of gravity.

We know that at terminal velocity, the cat's acceleration due to air resistance is 0. This means that we can set the equation equal to 0 and solve for velocity. This will give us the cat's final velocity when air resistance is taken into account.

It's also important to note that the cat's initial velocity is in the x-direction, so we can use the x-component of the equation to solve for the final velocity in that direction.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification. Keep up the good work in your physics class.

Related to Finding final velocity with variable acceleration due to air resistance

1. How does air resistance affect the final velocity of an object?

Air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. As an object moves faster, the air resistance acting on it also increases. This means that the final velocity of an object will be lower when air resistance is present compared to when it is not.

2. What factors influence the amount of air resistance an object experiences?

The amount of air resistance an object experiences is influenced by its speed, the surface area of the object, and the density of the air. Objects with a larger surface area experience more air resistance, while objects moving at higher speeds experience greater air resistance due to the increased force of the air pushing against them. Additionally, air density can affect the amount of air resistance, as denser air provides more resistance than less dense air.

3. How is air resistance calculated in equations for finding final velocity?

Air resistance is typically taken into account in equations by using a coefficient of air resistance, represented by the symbol "k." This coefficient is multiplied by the velocity squared in the equation, and its value depends on the shape and size of the object as well as the density of the air. However, calculating air resistance accurately can be complex and often requires experimental data.

4. How can air resistance be reduced to increase the final velocity of an object?

Air resistance can be reduced by making changes to the shape and size of the object. For example, streamlining the object to reduce its surface area can decrease the amount of air resistance it experiences. Additionally, objects can be made more aerodynamic to reduce air resistance and increase their final velocity.

5. How does the angle of an object's motion affect air resistance and final velocity?

The angle of an object's motion can affect the amount of air resistance it experiences and therefore its final velocity. For example, an object moving at an angle of 45 degrees to the ground will experience less air resistance than an object moving perpendicular to the ground. This can result in a higher final velocity for the object moving at an angle.