Finding Extremum of z=1-sqrt(x^2+y^2)

• Thread starter manenbu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Extremum
In summary, the conversation discusses finding extrema points of the function z=1-\sqrt{x^2+y^2} and the use of the second derivative test to determine whether it's a maximum or minimum. It is found that (0,0,1) is a point where an extremum exists, but since all second derivatives are undefined at this point, another approach is needed to confirm that it is a maximum. The conversation also touches on finding extrema points for the function z=-x^2-xy-y^2+4lnx+10lny and the importance of considering the domain when solving for points that satisfy the derivative equation.
manenbu

Homework Statement

Find exterma points of:
[tex]
z=1-\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Second derivative test.

The Attempt at a Solution

I find that (0,0,1) is a point where an extremum exist. To determine whether it's a maximum or minimum I need to use the second derivative test, but my second derivatives are:
[tex]
z^{''}_{xx} = -\frac{y^2}{\sqrt{(x^2+y^2)^3}}\\
z^{''}_{yy} = -\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{(x^2+y^2)^3}}\\
z^{''}_{xy} = \frac{xy}{\sqrt{(x^2+y^2)^3}}
[/tex]
All of those functions are undefined at at x=0 and y=0.
What should I do then?

(edit - any idea why won't the "\\" make a new line in the tex code?)

Physics news on Phys.org
You can also look at the original equation. Clearly, the largest value of z will be 1, which occurs when x = 0 and y = 0. For all other values of x and y, a positive number is being subtracted from 1, giving a smaller value of z.

Yes, this is true. But I was wondering if there is a formal way of knowing this. For this particular function it's easy to just look at the function, but for another one it might not be.

Maybe you noticed that zx and zy are both undefined at (0, 0). This is a point in the domain of your function, which makes it a candidate for an extremum (in fact, the only candidate).

Inasmuch as there are no points where zx and zy are simultaneously zero, you have to use another approach to confirm that you have a maximum at (0, 0). You can do that with inequalities.
[tex]1 - \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} \le 1~for~all~x~and~y[/tex]
and equals 1 only at (0, 0).
Do you need to say anything more that this?

ok, got it.

I got another question now:
I got this function:
z=-x2 -xy -y2 + 4lnx + 10lny

So the derivatives are:
[tex]z^{'}_{x} = -2x -y + \frac{4}{x}[/tex]

[tex]z^{'}_{y} = -x -2y + \frac{10}{y}[/tex]
when solving this system of equations i get the following points:
[tex](\pm1,\pm2) and \left(\pm\frac{4}{\sqrt{3}},\mp\frac{5}{\sqrt{3}}\right)[/tex]
all those points satisfy the derivative equation.
in the given answers, only (1,2) is a maximum point. also, when plotting this function i only see one maximum point at (1,2).
so where are the other points coming from?

For a new problem, you really should start a new thread.

You can't possibly have all of the points you listed. Because of the ln terms, The domain is {(x, y) | x > 0 and y > 0}. That eliminates all but one of the points you show.

I'll bet that you introduced a bunch of extraneous solutions when you solved for x in one of your equations (getting a radical) and substituting it in the other equation.

oh. seems so obvious now.
thanks for helping me, again.

Related to Finding Extremum of z=1-sqrt(x^2+y^2)

1. What is the purpose of finding the extremum of z=1-sqrt(x^2+y^2)?

The purpose of finding the extremum of z=1-sqrt(x^2+y^2) is to determine the minimum or maximum value of the function, which can provide valuable information for various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you find the extremum of z=1-sqrt(x^2+y^2)?

To find the extremum of z=1-sqrt(x^2+y^2), we can use the method of partial derivatives. First, we take the partial derivatives of the function with respect to x and y, set them equal to 0, and solve for x and y. Then, we substitute these values into the original function to find the extremum point.

3. Can a function have more than one extremum?

Yes, a function can have multiple extremum points. In the case of z=1-sqrt(x^2+y^2), the function has a global maximum at (0,0) and a global minimum at all other points on the xy-plane.

4. How do you determine if an extremum point is a minimum or maximum?

To determine whether an extremum point is a minimum or maximum, we can use the second derivative test. If the second derivative at the point is positive, then it is a minimum. If the second derivative is negative, then it is a maximum. If the second derivative is zero, then the test is inconclusive and we must use other methods to determine the nature of the extremum.

5. Can the extremum point of z=1-sqrt(x^2+y^2) change if the function is defined in a different coordinate system?

Yes, the extremum point of z=1-sqrt(x^2+y^2) can change if the function is defined in a different coordinate system. For example, if the function is defined in polar coordinates, the extremum point may be different since the coordinates are measured differently than in the Cartesian system.