Finding Equivalent Resistances, Identifying Connections, etc.

• Thread starter rugerts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, the purpose of finding equivalent resistances is to simplify complex circuits for easier analysis and understanding of total current and voltage. To find the equivalent resistance of resistors in series, simply add up the individual resistances. For resistors in parallel, use the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... and take the reciprocal of the result to find Req. The main difference between series and parallel connections is the way components are connected, either in a single path or multiple paths for current flow, respectively. To identify series and parallel connections, look for components connected one after another or side by side, or follow the current flow throughout the circuit.
rugerts
Homework Statement
A) What is the current flowing through Resistor 1?
B) What is the voltage drop across Resistor 2?
C) What is the current flowing through Resistor 9?
D) What is the equivalent resistance for Resistors 5, 7, and 8?
Relevant Equations
V = I*R, Series Connections add.
1569385309024.png

1569385352042.png

It seems as though i1 and i9 are in series with the current source. That's my reasoning for the answers a and c.
For b, it appears as though there's still an unbroken series connection which just leaves V = I * R.

I put question marks because I don't know if they're right or not; there's no way for me to check.

Thanks for your time.

Likes Michael_0039
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers are correct.

Likes Michael_0039

Related to Finding Equivalent Resistances, Identifying Connections, etc.

1. What is equivalent resistance?

Equivalent resistance is the combined resistance of multiple resistors in a circuit, which can be represented by a single resistor that has the same effect on the flow of current as the original group of resistors.

2. How do you calculate equivalent resistance?

To calculate equivalent resistance, you can use the following formulas depending on the type of connection between the resistors:
- For resistors in series: Req = R1 + R2 + R3 + ...
- For resistors in parallel: Req = 1/ (1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...)
- For a combination of series and parallel resistors: Use a combination of the two above equations, starting from the outermost resistors and working your way towards the center of the circuit.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel connections?

In a series connection, the resistors are connected one after the other, resulting in a single path for the current to flow through. In a parallel connection, the resistors are connected side by side, providing multiple paths for the current to flow through.

4. How do you identify connections in a circuit?

To identify connections in a circuit, you can use a multimeter to measure the resistance between different points in the circuit. If the resistance is the same, then those points are in series. If the resistance is different, then those points are in parallel.

5. Why is it important to find equivalent resistances?

Finding equivalent resistances is important because it allows us to simplify complex circuits and make calculations easier. It also helps us understand the behavior of the circuit and how different components are affecting the flow of current.