Finding equation of tangent line

In summary: This can be done by finding the equation of a line through the point (x0, y0) and solving for ##x##. This line has the equation ##x = y − 2\sqrt{y_0}##.
Dank2

Homework Statement

The following point (x0,y0), is on the curve sqrtx +sqrty = 1Show that line equation of the tangent line in the point. (x0,y0)
Is x/sqrtx0 + y/sqrty0 = 1

I've found the slope which is
-sqrty/sqrtx.
So slope of the point is -sqrty0/sqrtx0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

y-y0=-sqrty0/sqrtx0(x-x0)

Should I get the solution from the equation above?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe it's easier if you model the problem as one of "one" variable. If you write it as a function y of x, then it is [itex]y=x-2\sqrt{x}+1[/itex], do you know what the tangent if this is at an arbitrary point? Try to look at the equation for the tangentplane of a [itex]\textbf{R}^3[/itex]-function. The tangent-plane for such an equation at an arbitrary point [itex](x_0,y_0,z_0)[/itex] is [itex]f_{tangent}=\nabla f(x_0,y_0,z_0)\cdot(x-x_0,y-y_0,z-z_0)=0[/itex]

Haven't det with R3 yet. All we have learned is finding the slope and then using the formula y-y0 = m(x-x0)

Dank2 said:
Haven't det with R3 yet. All we have learned is finding the slope and then using the formula y-y0 = m(x-x0)
SOunds as if you know what you're doing, you just need to put the pieces of the puzzle together. :)

Likes Dank2
Christofferk said:
SOunds as if you know what you're doing, you just need to put the pieces of the puzzle together. :)
I think need a hint,

Is it like rw
Christofferk said:
is it like really easy to show from the equation I've written? I'm not sure which of the 4 variables should I substitute , I can't see how to get even 1 there

Dank2 said:
Is it like rw

is it like really easy to show from the equation I've written? I'm not sure which of the 4 variables should I substitute , I can't see how to get even 1 there

You do not have 4 variables; you have only 2--namely x and y. These are the two objects that vary along the curve and along the tangent line. The other two objects (##x_0,y_0##) are just some constant input parameters. They do NOT vary along the curve or along the tangent line.

Thread moved. @Dank2, questions involving derivatives should NOT be posted in the Precalc section.

Ray Vickson said:
You do not have 4 variables; you have only 2--namely x and y. These are the two objects that vary along the curve and along the tangent line. The other two objects (##x_0,y_0##) are just some constant input parameters. They do NOT vary along the curve or along the tangent line.

I meant I do not know which constant or variable should I subtitude in order to get the right form, from the main equation y= (1-sqrtx)^2 , y0=(1-sqrtx0)^2

Last edited by a moderator:
Christofferk said:
Try to look at the equation for the tangentplane of a [itex]\textbf{R}^3[/itex]-function. The tangent-plane for such an equation at an arbitrary point [itex](x_0,y_0,z_0)[/itex] is [itex]f_{tangent}=\nabla f(x_0,y_0,z_0)\cdot(x-x_0,y-y_0,z-z_0)=0[/itex]
IMO, and this is not a helpful hint.

Likes Dank2
Dank2 said:
Show that line equation of the tangent line in the point. (x0,y0)
Is x/sqrtx0 + y/sqrty0 = 1

I've found the slope which is
-sqrty/sqrtx.
So slope of the point is -sqrty0/sqrtx0
The slope at the point ##(x_0, y_0)## is ##\frac{-\sqrt{y_0}}{\sqrt{x_0}}##.
You know the point -- ##(x_0, y_0)## -- and you know the slope of the tangent line there -- ##\frac{-\sqrt{y_0}}{\sqrt{x_0}}##. Finding the equation of a line through a given point and with a known slope should be straightforward.

Likes Dank2
Mark44 said:
The slope at the point ##(x_0, y_0)## is ##\frac{-\sqrt{y_0}}{\sqrt{x_0}}##.
You know the point -- ##(x_0, y_0)## -- and you know the slope of the tangent line there -- ##\frac{-\sqrt{y_0}}{\sqrt{x_0}}##. Finding the equation of a line through a given point and with a known slope should be straightforward.

Yes it is (y-y_0)=−√y0/√x0*(x-x_0). but i need to show it equals :
x/√x_0 + y/√y_0 = 1

Last edited:
(y-y_0)=−√y0/√x0*(x-x_0) ==> y-y_0 = −√y_0*x/√x0 −√y_0*x_0/√x0
i think that somehow i need to use y=x−2√x+1 from the main equation, i just struggle on this point to do the algebra

Dank2 said:
Yes it is (y-y_0)=−√y0/√x0*(x-x_0). but i need to show it equals :
x/√x_0 + y/√y_0 = 1
You have ##\sqrt{y_0}## in your first equation and ##1/\sqrt{y_0}## in your second equation. How, then, can you get from the first to the second?

Likes Dank2
Ray Vickson said:
and 1/√y01/y01/\sqrt{y_0} in your second equation.

1/√y_0 ? can't see it

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
You have ##\sqrt{y_0}## in your first equation and ##1/\sqrt{y_0}## in your second equation. How, then, can you get from the first to the second?

i need a hint

Dank2 said:
1/√y_0 ? can't see it

You said you wanted to verify that ##x/\sqrt{x_0} + y/\sqrt{y_0} = 1##.

Ray Vickson said:
that the tangent line equation at the point (x_0, y_0) is equal to it yes.

i need to proof it

Ray Vickson said:
i tried coming from the general equation of the tangent line by slope and point, and it didn't come out good.

So it's not trivial?

Dank2 said:
So it's not trivial?
I think we're waiting for you to finish the problem.

Likes Dank2
Mark44 said:
I still need a hint regarding the algebra, if that's not asking for much.

Mark44 said:
The issue for me is that from the slope and point equation, I can subtitute y for x, x for y, or y_0 for x_0 or x_0 for y_0 ,
Using the equation y= (1- sqrtx)^2
Or same equation with y_0 and x_0 since this point is on the graph, is that right?

Dank2 said:
The issue for me is that from the slope and point equation, I can subtitute y for x, x for y, or y_0 for x_0 or x_0 for y_0 ,
Using the equation y= (1- sqrtx)^2
Or same equation with y_0 and x_0 since this point is on the graph, is that right?
Sort of, although what you wrote isn't clear. You can't just replace y with x or x with y, but you can replace y with ##(1 - \sqrt{x})^2)## and you can replace ##y_0## with ##(1 - \sqrt{x_0})^2)##.

Your work would be easier to read if you used LaTeX. If you click on any of the expressions I wrote using LaTeX, you can see my script that produces it.

For example, this -- ##\sqrt{y_0}## renders as ##\sqrt{y_0}##.

BTW, I'm wondering if there's a mistake in the problem statement. I am getting ##\frac{y}{\sqrt{y_0}} + \frac{x}{\sqrt{x_0}} = 2##, not 1 as in post #1. It's possible I have an error.

The problem would be slightly easier if instead of the point ##(x_0, y_0)## we use the point (a, b).

Likes Dank2
Mark44 said:
Sort of, although what you wrote isn't clear. You can't just replace y with x or x with y, but you can replace y with ##(1 - \sqrt{x})^2)## and you can replace ##y_0## with ##(1 - \sqrt{x_0})^2)##.

Your work would be easier to read if you used LaTeX. If you click on any of the expressions I wrote using LaTeX, you can see my script that produces it.

BTW, I'm wondering if there's a mistake in the problem statement. I am getting ##\frac{y}{\sqrt{y_0}} + \frac{x}{\sqrt{x_0}} = 2##, not 1 as in post #1. It's possible I have an error.

The problem would be slightly easier if instead of the point ##(x_0, y_0)## we use the point (a, b).

I will try to use latex once I get to my pc.

Yes I know that, I should have said y in terms of x or y_0 in terms of x_0.

So the right way is trying all possibilities ? Or is there some method I should follow?

And it should equal to 1.

Mark44 said:

Ok I've just solved it taking the slope/point equation and the the other , putting both in terms of y, making the nominator equal simplifying . Thanks

Related to Finding equation of tangent line

1. What is the equation of a tangent line?

The equation of a tangent line is a straight line that touches a curve at a specific point, called the point of tangency, without crossing or intersecting it. It represents the slope of the curve at that point.

2. How do you find the equation of a tangent line?

To find the equation of a tangent line, you need to know the coordinates of the point of tangency and the slope of the curve at that point. Using these values, you can use the point-slope form of a line to write the equation of the tangent line.

3. Can you find the equation of a tangent line without knowing the point of tangency?

No, the point of tangency is a crucial piece of information needed to determine the equation of the tangent line. Without it, there are infinite possible tangent lines that could be drawn to the curve.

4. What is the significance of finding the equation of a tangent line?

Finding the equation of a tangent line allows you to determine the slope of a curve at a specific point. This is useful in applications such as physics and engineering, where knowing the rate of change at a certain point is important. It also helps in understanding the behavior of a curve and its direction at that point.

5. Can you find the equation of a tangent line for any type of curve?

Yes, the concept of a tangent line can be applied to any type of curve, including linear, quadratic, trigonometric, and exponential functions. However, the method for finding the equation of the tangent line may vary depending on the type of curve.