Finding Equation of Curve to Touch Straight Line

• Thread starter JonnyMontana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the individual is seeking help in determining the point at which a plotted curve would touch a given straight line if the line were moved toward the curve. They have tried using Excel to obtain the equation of the line for the curve, but have not been successful. They are asking for advice on the best way to derive the equation of the curve, and provide the details of the equation for the straight line and the points for both the line and the curve.
JonnyMontana
Can anyone help as it's a long time since I studied this:

I have a straight line - which I have the equation for and a plotted curve with multiple points.

I want to figure out the point where the curve would touch the line shold it be moved toward the line.

I've tried using excel to get the equation of the line for the curve but it won't seem to select all the points and is not giving me a good equation.

Any advice apprecaited!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you were to move the line to the curve, or the curve to the line (I presume you mean moving it "parallel to itself", without changing its orientation), they would first touch at a point at which the line is tangent to the curve.

So: determine the slope of the line. Differentiate the function determining the curve and set the derivative (slope of the tangent line), as a function of x, equal to the slope of the given line. Solve that equation for x.

Thanks.

Suppose we were to imagine that I'm a bit rusty with this can I ask a further question?

What is the best way for me to derive the equation of the curve?

If I give the simple details it may help.

Straight Line Equation
Y = 1022.7X + 115583 (I think!)
11.0, 134000

Curve Points
29.6 77023
29.6 78363
29.6 79033
29.6 79703
29.6 80373
29.7 81043
29.7 81713
29.8 82383
29.9 83053
30.0 83723
30.2 84393
30.4 85063
30.7 85733
31.0 86403
31.3 87073
31.7 87743
32.2 88413
32.8 89083
33.4 89753
34.1 90423
34.9 91093
35.7 91763
36.7 92433
37.7 93103
38.9 93773
39.9 94282

Any advice appreciated!

Related to Finding Equation of Curve to Touch Straight Line

1. How do you find the equation of a curve that touches a straight line?

To find the equation of a curve that touches a straight line, you can use the method of differentiation. First, you need to find the slope of the straight line and then use that slope to find the slope of the curve at the point of tangency. Next, use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the tangent line. Finally, use the equation of the tangent line and the original equation of the curve to solve for the point of tangency and the equation of the curve.

2. What is the point of tangency?

The point of tangency is the point where a curve and a straight line touch each other. At this point, the slope of the curve is equal to the slope of the tangent line, making them "touch" each other at that specific point.

3. Can a curve touch a straight line at more than one point?

Yes, a curve can touch a straight line at more than one point. This can happen when the curve is a parabola or a higher-order polynomial, where the curve can have multiple points of intersection with the straight line.

4. What is the significance of finding the equation of a curve that touches a straight line?

Finding the equation of a curve that touches a straight line is important in many applications, such as optimization problems, physics, and engineering. It allows us to find the maximum or minimum values of a function, or to determine the path of an object in motion.

5. Are there any other methods to find the equation of a curve that touches a straight line?

Yes, there are other methods to find the equation of a curve that touches a straight line, such as using the method of conics or the method of Lagrange multipliers. However, the method of differentiation is the most commonly used and easiest method to find the equation of a curve that touches a straight line.