Finding energy from Inertia and RPM

In summary, to convert from RPM to joules for the energy equation, you need to convert RPM to radians per second and use the converted value in the equation E = 1/2 J * w^2. This conversion can be done by using the conversion factor of 1 RPM = 2*pi/60 rad/s.
Mike_In_Plano
Hello,

I'm working on a generalized model for motor / gear systems in SPICE and came across something I don't understand:

Given that the inertia, J, is in kg m^2
and my base unit for angular velocity, w, is kRPM
and the basic equation for energy is E = 1/2 J * w^2

How or what is the conversion factor such that I get joules as my unit of energy?

I feel really silly on this one, I can only claim memory loss...

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you convert RPM to radians/second, it's a done deal. 1 RPM = 2*pi radians/min. = 2*pi/60 rad/s

1 joule = 1 N-m = 1 kg-m^2/s^2

Likes 1 person
To be certain, let me read back what I think I understand -

To get energy, I convert my angular velocity to radians per second and use this as omega in:

E=1/2 omega^2 J

Correct?

Yes.

Related to Finding energy from Inertia and RPM

1. How does inertia relate to energy?

Inertia is the resistance of an object to changes in its state of motion. This means that objects with more inertia require more energy to change their state of motion compared to objects with less inertia.

2. What is the relationship between RPM and energy?

RPM stands for revolutions per minute and is a measure of how fast an object is rotating. The faster an object rotates, the more energy it has, as energy is required to maintain the rotational motion.

3. Can energy be extracted from inertia and RPM?

Yes, energy can be extracted from inertia and RPM. This is the principle behind devices such as flywheels and gyroscopes, which use rotational energy to power various mechanisms.

4. How can we calculate the energy from inertia and RPM?

The energy from inertia and RPM can be calculated using the formula: Energy = (1/2) x (inertia) x (RPM)^2. This formula takes into account both the inertia of the object and its rotational speed.

5. Are there any practical applications for finding energy from inertia and RPM?

Yes, there are many practical applications for using energy from inertia and RPM. Some examples include powering small electronic devices, stabilizing and steering spacecraft, and storing energy for use in vehicles.